Thread: Upper Receiver Block for 9?

Feedback Score

Upper Receiver Block for 9?

Which upper receiver block are you using with 9 MM uppers? Is there a good one that would work with 9 and 5.56? I have a Foxtrot Mike 9.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Any thoughts on this upper block from New Frontier Armory? It can be used for all upper types and locks in on the pivot and take down pins.

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/pr...er-vise-block/

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB2000 View Post
    Any thoughts on this upper block from New Frontier Armory? It can be used for all upper types and locks in on the pivot and take down pins.

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/pr...er-vise-block/

Thanks.
    They are for cleaning and maintenance only, not for barrel installation.

I used a regular clamshell and a great deal of care to install one each rimfire and 9mm barrels into standard uppers, which may work for you. A barrel block in a vise is probably the safest method.

I greatly prefer a reaction rod that engages the bolt lug cutouts on the receiver extension for 5.56.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 07-04-20 at 06:35.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would avoid installing a barrel using any block that will put the bulk of the applied torque on the pin lugs. I use a clamshell block. I got mine at Academy.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses. Do any of the clamshell blocks fit billet uppers? My FM 9 upper has more of a hexagonal shape. It

Right now I just want to be able to secure it to change muzzle devices but eventually I would like to start building uppers.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Thanks for the responses. Do any of the clamshell blocks fit billet uppers? My FM 9 upper has more of a hexagonal shape. It

Right now I just want to be able to secure it to change muzzle devices but eventually I would like to start building uppers.

Thanks.
    Clamshells are generally best (See edit) for blowback uppers, but:

Get yourself a 2x2, such as a landscaping stake. Cut 6 inches off it, twice, and clamp them in your vice. Drill a hole half a hair smaller than your barrel in between them, a couple inches from the ends. Celebrate being the owner of a very cheap barrel block while you twist that mount onto you barrel.

Edit: when I say clamshells are better, I mean for barreling a receiver. For a muzzle device a barrel block is the best answer.
    Last edited by 1168; 07-07-20 at 04:35.

Feedback Score
    I live the idea of a DIY barrel block. Unfortunately, my barrel does not extend past the Hand guard enough to use a barrel block. How about the receiver blocks that clamp the top and bottom of the upper receiver?

https://www.plastixrevolution.net/co...ver-vise-block

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I live the idea of a DIY barrel block. Unfortunately, my barrel does not extend past the Hand guard enough to use a barrel block. How about the receiver blocks that clamp the top and bottom of the upper receiver?

https://www.plastixrevolution.net/co...ver-vise-block
    I’ve never used that model, but it looks well designed. You should be able to remove the handguard to clamp the barrel, though.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Thanks 1168, I appreciate your help!