Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gun, couple issues

Feedback Score

New Gun, couple issues

Hey all-

Been a while since I've had an AR, and recently purchased a complete gun with a troy 14.5" upper (m-lok free float rail) and BCM lower. It has troy BUIS as I want to get proficient and just shoot with irons for now. I took it to a 50 yard range last week, and fired away. My 42 yr old eyes aren't the best, but far from bad. All my shots were high and right from the bullseye. Fast forward to today, where I went to the range again. Before I went out, I had the guy bore-sight the rifle. He did it for $5 and when he came back I noticed the windage adjustment (the rear peep hole) was pretty far to the left. I asked if this was normal and he said yes but not sure I trust him as he was a kid. Anyways, is it OK if windage adjustments go to one direction a lot more than the other? I always figured they would be close to center with only minor adjustments.

Second issue I had, was a weird one. Here in CT, we can only have 10 round mags. I loaded the first mag full with 10 rounds. The bolt wasn't back when I inserted the mag. So when I grabbed the charging handle back to then release and chamber the round, the bolt went into battery but didn't feed the round! Now, the kicker is... if I inserted the same mag full with 10 rounds while the bolt was already back and then closed it... it DID chamber the round. I then tried 9, then 6 rounds in the mag and it chambered the rounds both ways. Any ideas whats going on? Normal stuff or quirks I can work out? Any help appreciated!

IMG_0178.jpg
    other.png
    Last edited by ejewels; 07-01-20 at 20:33.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Rear sight not centered isn’t unusual.
    Verify bore sight for POA/POI. It’s easier to just dial in at range if possible.

Sounds like you simply didn’t have fully loaded mag seated properly.
    It’s common to “download” a 30 rd mag by a couple rds for that reason.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Verify bore sight for POA/POI. It’s easier to just dial in at range if possible.

It’s common to “download” a 30 rd mag by a couple rds for that reason.
    Thanks. I actually put the pic of the rear sight up just now too. So people purposely don't load mags fully because they won't feed that way? Why would it feed if the bolt was already back, but if the bolt wasn't back when the mag was inserted and I charged it myself it then didn't feed?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

It’s common to “download” a 30 rd mag by a couple of rds for that reason.
    This for sure. And like Gaijin said, people will load AR mags with 28 rounds. Sometimes when doing a tactical mag reload with bolt forward, you can't get the 30 rd mag to seat without JAMMING that fat boy. And some guns never jam or not. Mark had an AR with windage jammed to the side, bugged him but didn't affect anything if I can remember.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-01-20 at 21:01.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. So doing the tactical mag reload (where bolt is forward) on a full mag doesn't work because the mag doesn't seat fully? The mag release seemed to pop in and everything though? And what... taking a round or 2 out makes less spring pressure in the magazine making it easier to fully seat?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
    Why would it feed if the bolt was already back, but if the bolt wasn't back when the mag was inserted and I charged it myself it then didn't feed?
    Because the magazine is probably not seated properly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Because the magazine is probably not seated properly.
    Even if it clicked in? Is it possible to seem seated, but its really not?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mags made to be compliant with a 10 round limit tend to stack the rounds tight when loaded to full capacity to prevent an eleventh round from being accidentally jammed in there. This leaves little movement to properly seat a fully loaded mag on a closed bolt.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-01-20 at 21:41.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    ah ok thanks. Well sounds like neither of what I have are really issues? Looking around the net like on arfcom... some seem to suggest if you're at farther ends of the rear sight adjustments that something could be misaligned... others like you guys say it doesn't matter. The free float rail looks to be centered... but my eyes play tricks on me as sometimes it looks slightly off and sometimes dead on depending on the light.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    That rear sight would bother me. Have you shot it since it was adjusted?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast