Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gun, couple issues

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    You have a pretty long free float rail with the front sight mounted on it - not an optimal configuration. If you can zero it (or it is zeroed), I wouldn't worry about where your sight ends up.

Andy

P.S. I have a 11.3" pistol with a rail mounted front sight and no optic. I am not saying it won't work.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 07-02-20 at 06:52.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One of my ARs has the rear sight well over to one side, but if that's where it needs to be to be zeroed, so be it, the adjustment range is there for a reason.

That said...I know on mine what the cause is (and it might be the same for you has your front sight is on a free float rail) - my receiver face is not completely true as when I look at the rifle from the front I can see the barrel is very marginally closer to one side of the rail than the other. Ive got a tool to true the receiver face up but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's not that it *really* needs doing as the irons on that rifle are accurate as adjusted, it's more my OCD...

On your rifle you might also check for how exact the rail rail is mated to the one on top of the receiver.... if it's slightly misaligned that will throw the sight over too.
    Last edited by SA80Dan; 07-02-20 at 07:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    That rear sight would bother me. Have you shot it since it was adjusted?
    Yeah my OCD is getting to me lol. I did shoot it at 50 yards and it was shooting left afterwards but I didn't have a spotter scope to see it until I went to get the target. I then had to go home so couldn't adjust. Not sure how many clicks right I'd need to go and if it would still be too left? But yes, technically even though the guy bore sighted it... it was shooting left an inch or two at 50 yards afterwards. He bore sighted it in the indoor range so not sure the distance he did it at, nor am I that confident in his abilities. Is bore sighting that accurate?
    Last edited by ejewels; 07-02-20 at 09:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    You have a pretty long free float rail with the front sight mounted on it - not an optimal configuration. If you can zero it (or it is zeroed), I wouldn't worry about where your sight ends up.

Andy

P.S. I have a 11.3" pistol with a rail mounted front sight and no optic. I am not saying it won't work.
    What would be optimal? I do plan on getting a 1x4 and red dot eventually.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SA80Dan View Post
    One of my ARs has the rear sight well over to one side, but if that's where it needs to be to be zeroed, so be it, the adjustment range is there for a reason.

That said...I know on mine what the cause is (and it might be the same for you has your front sight is on a free float rail) - my receiver face is not completely true as when I look at the rifle from the front I can see the barrel is very marginally closer to one side of the rail than the other. Ive got a tool to true the receiver face up but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's not that it *really* needs doing as the irons on that rifle are accurate as adjusted, it's more my OCD...

On your rifle you might also check for how exact the rail rail is mated to the one on top of the receiver.... if it's slightly misaligned that will throw the sight over too.
    Looking down the barrel, it seems centered but if anything maybe slightly off. Its tough to see really as our eyes I think play tricks on us sometimes. So basically even if its not perfectly true its still OK?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm going to take the gun into the shop that assembled it and have them take a look. Guess I just tell them to make sure all is aligned and show them my rear sight? Also, should I mention the magazine issue or is that gonna happen no matter what?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
    Yeah my OCD is getting to me lol. I did shoot it at 50 yards and it was shooting left afterwards but I didn't have a spotter scope to see it until I went to get the target. I then had to go home so couldn't adjust. Not sure how many clicks right I'd need to go and if it would still be too left? But yes, technically even though the guy bore sighted it... it was shooting left an inch or two at 50 yards afterwards. He bore sighted it in the indoor range so not sure the distance he did it at, nor am I that confident in his abilities. Is bore sighting that accurate?
    Bore sighting is only ever an approximation; you always need to verify and fine tune. If you are now shooting a little left you've got plenty of adjustment to come back on yourself. Spend the time at the range, get it dead on and see where the final rear sight position is.

Feedback Score
    Bore sighting is only ever an approximation; you always need to verify and fine tune. If you are now shooting a little left you've got plenty of adjustment to come back on yourself. Spend the time at the range, get it dead on and see where the final rear sight position is.
    Yeah. But assuming I need to come 2" over on target at 50 yards, would the sight adjustment be close to normal? Trying to decide if I take in the gun or not. Also, the 50 yard range is about an hour away. I do have a 25 yard indoor range close to me. Would zeroing at 25 still show if anything is off, or should I stick with a 50 yard zero?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If its 2 inches off at 50, click it over 4 clicks and see how it looks (as that's the approx required adjustment).

Personally I prefer to zero further away as it tends to show more than closer in. I run a 200 yard zero - if I initially do it at 50, its close but sometimes needs a couple of tweaks. Conversely though, if its on at 200 its always fully on at 50 - the extended range just shows up a little more for fine tuning.
    Dan

Feedback Score
    If its 2 inches off at 50, click it over 4 clicks and see how it looks (as that's the approx required adjustment).

Personally I prefer to zero further away as it tends to show more than closer in. I run a 200 yard zero - if I initially do it at 50, its close but sometimes needs a couple of tweaks. Conversely though, if its on at 200 its always fully on at 50 - the extended range just shows up a little more for fine tuning.
    Its weird... on the troy sights I'm not sure what constitutes "clicks". It seems I have to click it maybe 8 times before its even noticeable. If I zeroed at 25 though, I could at least still see if things are off correct? Like if its an inch to the left at 25, it would be maybe another inch off to the left at 50? Because Maths. lol.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast