Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Just ordered a Noveske 16 inch CHF Barrel. Set my expectations.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Interesting, my DD barrel/BCG combo doesn't shoot any better than 1.5 - 2 MOA, and my buddy's M4V7 (which I bought him as a gift) doesn't shoot any better than that. I was a little embarrassed actually.

I think a bore scope can definitely tell you if you have a problem barrel, but I don't think a clean barrel will absolutely indicate an accurate barrel.
    The scope means exactly shit...as I already said. The only reason I started scoping is to verify the rumors that HK and Hodge center the gas port in the groove...which is false. Some HK's are. 0/3 on the Hodge's. Everything else has be morbid curiosity. One FN that looks like shit shoots lights out.

I also don't think its fair to judge on barrel alone..."X" is good...."Y" is bad. It's more about the sum of the parts, tolerance stacking and consistency. Hell, the wrong muzzle device selection can add a nice 0.5-1.0+ MOA penalty depending on the design. I just stick to a known formula that works until it doesn't.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 07-07-20 at 19:18.

Feedback Score
    Hi,
    Wow!

Fantastic pics, looks like they are pretty close!

Thanks for putting them up, and sharing your experience and views on barrels.

I love CHF barrels, but they are a little pricey!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    The scope means exactly shit...as I already said. The only reason I started scoping is to verify the rumors that HK and Hodge center the gas port in the groove...which is false. Some HK's are. 0/3 on the Hodge's. Everything else has be morbid curiosity. One FN that looks like shit shoots lights out.

I also don't think its fair to judge on barrel alone..."X" is good...."Y" is bad. It's more about the sum of the parts, tolerance stacking and consistency. Hell, the wrong muzzle device selection can add a nice 0.5-1.0+ MOA penalty depending on the design. I just stick to a known formula that works until it doesn't.
    I completely agree, with the proviso that better QC (during the manufacturing process, with good materials) can make a big difference.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
    Yeah, she's literally telling me to buy/build more guns with everything going on right now. We're really quite blessed.
    Hahaha, good for you.

I'm thinking of pruning, I've got some family rifles and shotguns that I'll probably never shoot and look like they just came out of the box. And I've already got 18 rifles chambered in 5.56 as I want to be able to arm my neighbors if necessary.

I'm adding to my AR-15 and SCAR parts backups.

I was going to build another rifle, but instead I'm going to buy a better mid-long range scope. I'm thinking NightForce 2.5-20. Or I may go with a less expensive Vortex.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post

The only other thing I'll leave you with is throw the gas block pin in the freezer the day before the install. Makes all the difference on a clean error and gouge fee install experience.
    I wish I read that before I installed one a few years ago.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by n4p226r View Post
    I wish I read that before I installed one a few years ago.
    That's what I said after someone told me about the freezer trick. Same thing to install wheel bearings in a car or any press fit part into another.

If I had a video of my first install posted on YouTube, I would win the internet hands down.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    That's what I said after someone told me about the freezer trick. Same thing to install wheel bearings in a car or any press fit part into another.

If I had a video of my first install posted on YouTube, I would win the internet hands down.
    Yeah, about that...I'm actually planning to swap the Noveske gas block/gas tube with a V7 Titanium pin-on GB & their extreme environment (inconel) gas tube.

I'm that level of OCD about this project.

Still completely undecided about which upper I'm using.

Feedback Score
    Ended up ordering a Lantac UAR.

I'll be getting a nice commission check next week which I'll use to buy the CompM5. Thinking about taking a drive up to EuroOptic unless someone can recommend a better source?
    Last edited by js8588; 07-10-20 at 21:16.

Feedback Score
    Got a note from OpticsPlanet this evening. Barrel will be shipping soon which means, if past is prologue, I'll have it in hand by the end of next week. Meanwhile, here's the build so far. Getting the Aimpoint tomorrow. 20200721_181729.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345