Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a Noveske 16 inch CHF Barrel. Set my expectations.

Feedback Score

Just ordered a Noveske 16 inch CHF Barrel. Set my expectations.

With parts of the country literally on fire & DJT's re-election prospects looking inauspicious, I decided to finally get to work building a go-to carbine. I'm sparing no expense (I ordered a freaking $88 after shipping forged rifle receiver extension from Speciaized Armament for it). It will be topped with an Aimpoint CompM5 & cowitness fixed irons (LMT rear sight & probably a Midwest Industries HK style front).

Conventional wisdom dictates the barrel, bolt carrier, and trigger are the heart of a solid build. I decided to finally pull the proverbial trigger & order a Noveske 16 inch CHF/CL barrel. I had some credit with OpticsPlanet & a 10% off coupon. Came to like $420 shipped. They ain't gonna get any cheaper over the coming months.

Supposedly these are the best $$ can buy, save Hodge.

Temper my expectations. What has been your experience with this barrel?

At the moment my expectations are reliable, if overgassed (which I'm okay with. I want it to run any ammo in any conditions & I don't own or intend to own a suppressor...otherwise I'd have hunted down a Hodge). Accuracy expectations are 1.5-2 MOA 5 shot groups @ 100 yards with quality ammo. >2 moa with cheap stuff.

I haven't seen too many reports on a Noveske CHF barrel since Molon's evaluation circa 2009.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ordering a Noveske Barrel isn't apples to apples most times with other barrels in terms of cost. Whenever I've ordered a Noveske barrel it comes with gas block, pin and gas tube included. Most other barrel makers sell the barrel on it's own.

I would expect performance to be similar to all their CL barrels (a bit better than your expectations with a decent shooter), my N4 14.5 is 1 MOA with good ammo (62-77gr) all day and probably shoots better than I can shoot. Their SS 10.5 I have is .5-1 moa same ammo and probably shoots better than I can shoot as well. I run both suppressed without issue with their recommended buffer (what they list on their rifles)

The only other thing I'll leave you with is throw the gas block pin in the freezer the day before the install. Makes all the difference on a clean error and gouge fee install experience.

Feedback Score
    They’re fn hammerforged barrels to noveske specs. The profile makes sense. The one I had was gassed a little heavy but it was an accurate chromelined barrel.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
    With parts of the country literally on fire & DJT's re-election prospects looking inauspicious, I decided to finally get to work building a go-to carbine. I'm sparing no expense (I ordered a freaking $88 after shipping forged rifle receiver extension from Speciaized Armament for it). It will be topped with an Aimpoint CompM5 & cowitness fixed irons (LMT rear sight & probably a Midwest Industries HK style front).

Conventional wisdom dictates the barrel, bolt carrier, and trigger are the heart of a solid build. I decided to finally pull the proverbial trigger & order a Noveske 16 inch CHF/CL barrel. I had some credit with OpticsPlanet & a 10% off coupon. Came to like $420 shipped. They ain't gonna get any cheaper over the coming months.

Supposedly these are the best $$ can buy, save Hodge.

Temper my expectations. What has been your experience with this barrel?

At the moment my expectations are reliable, if overgassed (which I'm okay with. I want it to run any ammo in any conditions & I don't own or intend to own a suppressor...otherwise I'd have hunted down a Hodge). Accuracy expectations are 1.5-2 MOA 5 shot groups @ 100 yards with quality ammo. >2 moa with cheap stuff.

I haven't seen too many reports on a Noveske CHF barrel since Molon's evaluation circa 2009.
    In my opinion the barrel is the true heart of the AR. Milspec BCG's are a dime a dozen. But if you've got a really nice barrel with a true chamber, you can build yourself a really nice AR. The only Noveske barrel I own is a 10.5 6.8 SPC barrel. It's stainless, tapered profile, medium weight, gassed perfectly, and very accurate. I doubt you'll be disappointed with any Noveske barrel.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Reason being is Noveske barrels are typically $100-150 more than a comparable DD, Criterion, etc.

12 months ago I got a 14.5 DD LW with gas block for $190 shipped.

They are nice barrels (I have a 2010 14.5" CL SW with pinned 51T Blackout), but they aren't cheap.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They are easily better than DD barrels.

I have two 16" Noveske CHF barrels. The first one I bought had a standard A sight/GB. I decided to shave the GB down and put a rail on it. The second one came with a pinned GB. Both are very good barrels about 1 MOA - 1.5 depending on your ammo.

The thing I love about the Noveske barrels is the excellent medium profile, pinned GB, double thick chrome, and good accuracy. I just wish they were less expensive.

You chose wisely.

I prefer the Vltor MUR uppers for my go to rifles. And I'm using a LMT Enhanced BCG for one of the builds, with Vltor A5 Sprinco Green A5H3 buffer (I recommend starting with the A5H2). The A5 is not necessary, you could just as well go with a carbine RE, Sprinco Blue, and H2 or H3 buffer. The Geissele super 42 is another option I have not tried yet.

What ever you do, you know the BCG is critical. I like BCM, LMT enhanced, DD, Colt. I've not tried the Geissele Super Duty, but I saw an evaluation of it and it looks excellent.

I've not had a lot of time with the LMT Enhanced, but it seems to work very well. But I have had a LOT of time on the BCM BCGs and they have been excellent. I would say the BCM BCG is just as good as the Colt. I've not had too much time on the DD yet.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-02-20 at 20:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    They are easily better than DD barrels.

I have two 16" Noveske CHF barrels. The first one I bought had a standard A sight/GB. I decided to shave the GB down and put a rail on it. The second one came with a pinned GB. Both are very good barrels about 1 MOA - 1.5 depending on your ammo.

The thing I love about the Noveske barrels is the excellent medium profile, pinned GB, double thick chrome, and good accuracy. I just wish they were less expensive.

You chose wisely.

I prefer the Vltor MUR uppers for my go to rifles. And I'm using a LMT Enhanced BCG for one of the builds, with Vltor A5 Sprinco Green A5H3 buffer (I recommend starting with the A5H2). The A5 is not necessary, you could just as well go with a carbine RE, Sprinco Blue, and H2 or H3 buffer. The Geissele super 42 is another option I have not tried yet.

What ever you do, you know the BCG is critical. I like BCM, LMT enhanced, DD, Colt. I've not tried the Geissele Super Duty, but I saw an evaluation of it and it looks excellent.

I've not had a lot of time with the LMT Enhanced, but it seems to work very well. But I have had a LOT of time on the BCM BCGs and they have been excellent. I would say the BCM BCG is just as good as the Colt. I've not had too much time on the DD yet.
    I'm leaning towards a Lantac UAR billet upper for this at the moment but that's not set in stone.

The bolt will for sure be an LMT enhanced but those are backordered until basically inauguration day 2021. The carrier will probably be a Cryptic Coatings Mystic Black. I'm aware that's not the most popular choice on this forum but even here they get good reviews.

I'll be using a rifle length extension/buffer/spring for a Lancer EFX-A1 stock I have on hand.

Radian Talon 45° ambi safety.

Trigger choice at the moment is sixes between a Wilson Combat TTU single stage, a Geissele SSP Flat, or a Velocity steel case trigger. TTU is the current frontrunner but not substantially so.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
    I'm leaning towards a Lantac UAR billet upper for this at the moment but that's not set in stone.

The bolt will for sure be an LMT enhanced but those are backordered until basically inauguration day 2021. The carrier will probably be a Cryptic Coatings Mystic Black. I'm aware that's not the most popular choice on this forum but even here they get good reviews.

I'll be using a rifle length extension/buffer/spring for a Lancer EFX-A1 stock I have on hand.

Radian Talon 45° ambi safety.

Trigger choice at the moment is sixes between a Wilson Combat TTU single stage, a Geissele SSP Flat, or a Velocity steel case trigger. TTU is the current frontrunner but not substantially so.
    Sounds good. Everyone has differences in how they want their build to go.

If I couldn't get the complete LMT Enhanced BCG in the time frame I needed it by, my second choice would be the Geissele REBCG. It is DLC coated, but the main thing is the amazing machining and material. Expensive? Yes, but you will never worry about Geissele standing behind their stuff. https://geissele.com/geissele-bolt-carrier-group.html

Sometimes people on this forum push their own stuff, which is fine, but I'd think about what you are trying to accomplish and go with tried and true vendors. JMHO

Triggers are very personal, you like single stage, I'm for Geissele 2 stage. SSA and SSA-E, the E is slightly light for me, but I use it.

I don't know anything about the Lantac upper. I do know that Noveske was rebadging Vltors for some time. In fact, I have a Noveske Vltor upper on one build. Just a point of info.

I would recommend the Mega Machine MML for a go-to build (I have 3 go-to builds) because I love mine, but Mega has either stopped production or quit the business. The upper was expensive because it was a 7075 billet Upper/Mlock rail. Very sturdy because the rail fit and bolted to the receiver (not the barrel nut) making it essentially a single piece upper/rail.

Here is the build with the Mega MML. Noveske CHF 16" mid-length barrel, LMT Enhanced BCG, Noveske Gen 2 lower, Geissele SSA, LMT receiver extension (dry lube coated), Sprinco (Tactical Springs) Blue with either a H2 or H3. Troy HK style sights, I think I have an Aimpoint or MRO on it now. I've got a surefire light for it. It doesn't have that stock, I switched back to a B5 SOPMOD. I guess the I put the A5 system on my other Noveske barreled rifle.

I used to change parts a lot.

Oh yeah, and it has a different safety now. I think its a Talon, I'd have to go dig it out of the safe, but I'm lazy. I cannot remember the charging handle. in the picture its a BCM Gunfighter medium, but I think I put a Geissele Ambi in it.

This is probably my favorite go-to, it is bomb proof. It shoots 1 MOA with Mk262 clone. However, it is a little heavier which you might expect for a fighting rifle. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-03-20 at 12:48.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    All good above. I sort of scour the internet for weird odd Noveske new/used/takeoff items and tend to build AR's off that.

For example at one point Noveske cleared out some Foliage Green NSR Rails almost at the same time Magpul was getting rid of their Foliage green stuff. Grabbed me a Spike lower from the garage, Noveske MUR upper, 16" barrel W/bolt, a carrier, the rail, the magpul closeouts and a colts parts kit. Dad got a new Foliage green AR with the majority 50% off. Have done that same with Chainsaw parts from them as well. Also the reason why I keep a few lowers and parts kits around. Everything else is a week away shipped direct.

Could obviously do the same with Geissele, La Rue, or any other high end AR Parts folks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    All good above. I sort of scour the internet for weird odd Noveske new/used/takeoff items and tend to build AR's off that.

For example at one point Noveske cleared out some Foliage Green NSR Rails almost at the same time Magpul was getting rid of their Foliage green stuff. Grabbed me a Spike lower from the garage, Noveske MUR upper, 16" barrel W/bolt, a carrier, the rail, the magpul closeouts and a colts parts kit. Dad got a new Foliage green AR with the majority 50% off. Have done that same with Chainsaw parts from them as well. Also the reason why I keep a few lowers and parts kits around. Everything else is a week away shipped direct.

Could obviously do the same with Geissele, La Rue, or any other high end AR Parts folks.
    Yeah, I got a little addicted to building rifles for a few years and ended up building 12. I also have a ton of upper and lower small parts, some upper receivers, buffer tubes, springs, buffers, triggers, a couple rails, muzzle devices, gas blocks, gas tubes, etc. I could build at least 3 complete rifles if I had the lowers and barrels.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast