Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a Noveske 16 inch CHF Barrel. Set my expectations.

Feedback Score
    Hi,
    Here is my dream rifle that was also my first AR build.

Started with a Spikes Tactical upper and lower and then used a DD CHF Middy barrel with a DD Nickel Boron BCG.

Used a Boron ALG Defense trigger group and finished off with Magpul furniture.

Uses a military M2 Aimpoint, co-witnessed to the front sight.

I think the barrel with the A2 sight was about $285.

It hits like a hammer and kicks like a pellet gun! Love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by seagiant; 07-05-20 at 15:07.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
    My 6th full build. (I have several others under construction too...you know how it goes).

I'm looking at billet for the upper this time.
    Sounds like you have a pretty good foundation of builds, which is nice. You might want to consider Cross Machine Tool and Centurion Arms billet upper receivers. Both are machined well enough that a thermal fit should be required for best/ simplest installation of the barrel extension into receiver.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Sounds like you have a pretty good foundation of builds, which is nice. You might want to consider Cross Machine Tool and Centurion Arms billet upper receivers. Both are machined well enough that a thermal fit should be required for best/ simplest installation of the barrel extension into receiver.
    Just wanted to say, I'm honored that you responded to this thread. Big fan of your work.

Anyway, the Cryptic Coatings BCGs were on sale & miraculously in stock this weekend, so I ordered one. I'm sure the stock bolt will hold me until I can swap it out for an LMT (yes, I know CC is technically just Toolcraft & they source out their bolts).

I'll be dithering over exactly what upper receiver to purchase for a little bit yet. If the Precision Firearms billet upper wasn't 11 freaking ounces I'd have settled on that by now...then again, I'm essentially just fretting over ~3oz. Gun OCD is a b***h.

Now I'm learning towards the Geissele SSP for the trigger. 3ish lbs sure sounds nice (I know. Duty trigger weight vs range/gaming gun. I got the memo. I like what I like.)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    They are easily better than DD barrels.
    Why do you say this? It's been known for a long time that DD builds exceptional barrels. For example, here's a thread from 2012 discussing a 14.5" DD LW-profile barrel, which performed extremely well:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...LW-5-56-barrel

Feedback Score
    Hi,
    Jeez, give me a break, DD have their own Hammer Forge machines.

I mean they MAKE their own barrels, they don't take someone else's blank, machine it and then put their name on it?

I would use DD for all my builds if I could afford it!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post
    Why do you say this? It's been known for a long time that DD builds exceptional barrels. For example, here's a thread from 2012 discussing a 14.5" DD LW-profile barrel, which performed extremely well:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...LW-5-56-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Jeez, give me a break, DD have their own Hammer Forge machines.

I mean they MAKE their own barrels, they don't take someone else's blank, machine it and then put their name on it?

I would use DD for all my builds if I could afford it!
    No-one said DD barrels are not exceptional, just Noveske are better. It's an opinion I share, but have no science to back it up. I would guess either brands barrels shoot better than most shooters, so no harm no foul. BUT, my 10.5 SS Noveske Suppressed is the cats meow and that's final.....HAHA.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    No-one said DD barrels are not exceptional, just Noveske are better. It's an opinion I share, but have no science to back it up. I would guess either brands barrels shoot better than most shooters, so no harm no foul. BUT, my 10.5 SS Noveske Suppressed is the cats meow and that's final.....HAHA.
    (a) We're talking CHF barrels here, so you're already out of your lane.
    (b) The OP in question said Noveske's CHF barrels are "easily" better than DD, and then didn't provide any explanation for that statement.

I don't deny that Noveske sells a good barrel. Indeed, they sell some of the best barrels. But the idea that they're "easily" better than DD requires some justification. DD's barrels are some of the best in the industry. When it comes to CHF, it's hard to go wrong between, Noveske, Centurion, and DD.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post
    (a) We're talking CHF barrels here, so you're already out of your lane.
    (b) The OP in question said Noveske's CHF barrels are "easily" better than DD, and then didn't provide any explanation for that statement.

I don't deny that Noveske sells a good barrel. Indeed, they sell some of the best barrels. But the idea that they're "easily" better than DD requires some justification. DD's barrels are some of the best in the industry. When it comes to CHF, it's hard to go wrong between, Noveske, Centurion, and DD.
    Welcome to the internet, there is no lane but opinion whether mine or someone else's. I own CHF Noveske's as well and agree with OP's sentiment. Just out of curiosity, what justification would satisfy you?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    Welcome to the internet, there is no lane but opinion whether mine or someone else's. I own CHF Noveske's as well and agree with OP's sentiment. Just out of curiosity, what justification would satisfy you?
    How many Noveske barrels do you own? I own 7 with 4 of them being CHF. I also own DD barrels as well. I have 2 of those. I wouldn't say Noveske barrels are better than my DD at all. I would lean to say that my DD CHF are better.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    How many Noveske barrels do you own? I own 7 with 4 of them being CHF. I also own DD barrels as well. I have 2 of those. I wouldn't say Noveske barrels are better than my DD at all. I would lean to say that my DD CHF are better.
    I own 6 Noveske's, 4 CHF and 2 SS in various lengths running both suppressed and unsuppressed. While we don't agree 100%, I am quite sure we are both correct in our assessments.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast