Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Covid Quarantine Recce Rifle or “Cov-ee” Rifle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Very nice rifle. Well written posting. I haven't built a new rifle in three years and it's a lot of fun.

I think the Vltor receiver remains a very good choice for its rigidty, and quality machining. I chose them for my best builds too.

I've heard a lot about BA barrels, but haven't tried one yet. I'm interested in your thoughts on melonite after you have some rounds down the pipe. I like the medium, non-military profile barrels too. I'm looking for an alternative to the Noveske CHF barrel too.

I've compared the MBT-2 triggers (I've got a couple) with the SSAs and SSA-E, and it's really a pretty good trigger if you overlook the machining of the shoe and slightly awkward install. My examples also have some side to side play in two different lowers. Not sure why LaRue would machine them that way. But for the $ they are really excellent. I guess the reason Bill Geissele can demand so much for his triggers is because he gets it right almost every damn time. I think Bill is a trigger wizard for duty triggers.

I really like your choice of optic. Seems like a perfect choice for the rifle you built.

Congratulations.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-02-20 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Great post. Like you, I prefer the rounded trigger shoe on the Geissele, BCM PNT, and other triggers to the 90 deg on the MBT-2.

How does the Centurion 2-stage compare? I may have to let my MBTs go if it's comparable in terms of trigger pull.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Nice build OP! If you don’t mind I’ve got a few questions on the LaRue rail.

Did you happen to weigh the handguard and hardware?

How rigid is the rail itself? Can you pinch the side of the rail and barrel and make the rail deflect?

Last thing, is it a true 12” length from front of the upper receiver?
    I did not weigh the hand guard ahead of time. It's very rigid, but it is possible with a lot of force to slightly shift the barrel in relationship to the hand guard. I cannot get the rail to touch the side of the hand guard. It is a true 12" from the receiver.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Very nice rifle. Well written posting. I haven't built a new rifle in three years and it's a lot of fun.

I think the Vltor receiver remains a very good choice for its rigidty, and quality machining. I chose them for my best builds too.

I've heard a lot about BA barrels, but haven't tried one yet. I'm interested in your thoughts on melonite after you have some rounds down the pipe. I like the medium, non-military profile barrels too. I'm looking for an alternative to the Noveske CHF barrel too.

I've compared the MBT-2 triggers (I've got a couple) with the SSAs and SSA-E, and it's really a pretty good trigger if you overlook the machining of the shoe and slightly awkward install. My examples also have some side to side play in two different lowers. Not sure why LaRue would machine them that way. But for the $ they are really excellent. I guess the reason Bill Geissele can demand so much for his triggers is because he gets it right almost every damn time. I think Bill is a trigger wizard for duty triggers.

I really like your choice of optic. Seems like a perfect choice for the rifle you built.

Congratulations.
    I probably won't be able to answer about melonite for several years. I mean, I certainly hope I don't have a negative experience until the barrel has well over 10K rounds through it and I don't intend this rifle to be a range trainer. I will shoot it for function and accuracy, but not as a regular training rifle. As far as triggers go, i haven't noticed any lateral movement in the LT MBT-2 triggers in relationship to the lower. I have two of them and have not encountered any issue. I also have many Geissele triggers. I've had issues with two of them. Geissele replaced/fixed them no issue, but it just shows any manufacturer can have an occasional issue. I would probably continue buying SSA triggers if the cost was more competitive with LaRue. It's hard to beat the MBT-2 for $80.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Great post. Like you, I prefer the rounded trigger shoe on the Geissele, BCM PNT, and other triggers to the 90 deg on the MBT-2.

How does the Centurion 2-stage compare? I may have to let my MBTs go if it's comparable in terms of trigger pull.
    I only have one range trip behind the CA 2-stage. It's not as crisp a break as the MBT. The CA trigger definitely has more creep as its breaking compared to the LaRue trigger. The LT trigger breaks very crisply. Honestly, if the trigger shoe of the MBT was a little more rounded, I'd be hard pressed to buy anyone else's trigger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12