Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ballistic advantage barrels

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
    I hadn’t heard this when I owned the first barrel (which I no longer own so can’t test this on) but did by the time I bought the second one. No go for me; gas block does not budge in any direction when the pin is in. It’s just canted.

If that is in fact the way the pins are designed to work (pin just controls fore/aft movement), dimpling the barrels for the rear set screw would be beneficial for alignment. None of mine have been dimpled.
    I have a 14.5 I just finished the build on and it's not cycling as it should. Ok, so at all. One of the things I'm considering it the gas block is canted enough to restrict gas flow as it's not even cycling with an A5H0 with an Armalite rifle spring. That's one thing I'm going to check.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    If you are referring to barrels that come from BA with a pinned gas block, like the Hanson barrels, the pin is intended to keep the gas from sliding, not shifting side to side. That is what the set screws are for. If you loosen the set screws you can tap the gas block straight with the pin installed to straighten it. I found a BA video on youtube showing this. Apparently BA’s pin job is not like it is on front sight towers using tapered pins.
    Perfect timing to read this. It supports my suspicions on a cycling issue. Thanks for posting.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    I have an 11.3 Hanson. That was 200 bucks shipped with pinned gas block and a free ba upper maybe 2 years ago. At 50 yards with a 1x prism it shoots clover leafs with ae 55 gr. I also have a 14.0 carbine gas Hanson. Just over moa for 5 rds with 62 or 64 gr gd (can’t remember) and 5rds into about 1 and a half in. with ae black pack using a pxi 1-4 Steiner. This barrel (Pinned gb) was paired with a centurion cmr and was on sale for under 300 shipped from weapon outfitters. I’m assuming a better shooter than myself would have no problem getting moa out of either. I’ve never taken the time to shoot match grade ammo with a higher magnification. But around 1500 rds from the 11.3 and just over a 1000 out of the 14.0 in ( desert ,outdoor, out of position, support side shooting etc.)I’ve had zero issues.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I have a 14.5 I just finished the build on and it's not cycling as it should. Ok, so at all. One of the things I'm considering it the gas block is canted enough to restrict gas flow as it's not even cycling with an A5H0 with an Armalite rifle spring. That's one thing I'm going to check.

Perfect timing to read this. It supports my suspicions on a cycling issue. Thanks for posting.
    When I got my first Hansen barrel, I was disappointed in the “pin” job, being what it is. What I ultimately did was use a fixture to dimple the barrel for the one set screw on the opposite side of the gas port, install the gas block and then drove the pin in. Now that I have a few thousand rounds through it and know that all is as it should be, I’m gonna rocksett the set screws the next time I have the handguard off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The roll pin will go in even if the gas block is canted some. I guess because it’s a roll pin instead of tapered. After using a few Hanson barrels I’ve found the best way is to align the gas block and crank down on the set screws. Once they’re tight gently tap in the roll pin. I’ve not been able to get on to move to straighten it without removing the roll pin and then reinstalling after it’s been straightened.

Feedback Score
    I'm happy with mine.

BA 16" mid-gas, govt profile. 100 yards, PMC XTAC 62gr LAP.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have one of their modern series 18" SPR barrels w/ pinned lo-pro GB in a build.

Around 1500 rounds in at this point, love it. It holds true to their sub MOA guarantee when I do my part with match-grade fodder.

Have gotten 3" 5 shot groups with it out to 225 yards.

Great value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is a 50 yard group using a gov profile 11.5 inch barrel. Ammo was American Eagle 55 FMJ.

20200301_135936 by chase ditwiler, on Flickr
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234