Thread: Does ammo go bad

Feedback Score

Does ammo go bad

Does ammunition go bad? I'm thinking about starting to stock up on ammunition (not because of Obama-panic) because during the winter I have less overhead, and can buy ammo to use during the warmer weather months. Right now, I have 500 rds coming, but was thinking about picking up a case or two of Wolf () just to supplement.

Ammo will be stored in my safe in my house, and it will stay warm/dry if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
    Chris

Feedback Score
    I don't know if someone has a definitive answer on this subject but properly stored ammo is going to last at least 30 years, and probably much longer than that. I regularly shoot 25 year old+ 5.56/.38/.357 ammo without any issues whatsoever.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you keep stored as you described the ammo will still be 100% long after your great grandchildren are dead.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .223 View Post
    Does ammunition go bad? I'm thinking about starting to stock up on ammunition (not because of Obama-panic) because during the winter I have less overhead, and can buy ammo to use during the warmer weather months. Right now, I have 500 rds coming, but was thinking about picking up a case or two of Wolf () just to supplement.

Ammo will be stored in my safe in my house, and it will stay warm/dry if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
    Chris

It won't keep, you need to continue to order it though and have it delivered to my house. I promise I'll make sure it doesn't go bad.

J/K

It will be fine.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've shot milsurp that was minted prior to WWII, no worries as long as it's kept dry and in a reasonably stable temperature.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    I've shot milsurp that was minted prior to WWII, no worries as long as it's kept dry and in a reasonably stable temperature.
    Same here. A couple of years ago, I shot a batch of pre-war 45ACP and .30-06 that had been stored in a shed in west-central IA. It had been subjected to seasonal heat and cold extremes, but still discharged. Guns were a G21 and (Rem?) 1903A3.

It's important to note that this was mil ammo, manufactured to standards. Who knows what commercially produced ammo made today will do.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Everything has a shelf life at some measurement. Question is does it fit into your scope. My unpolished answer to that is, keep it dry and it will out last you.

Feedback Score
    I put my reloading equipment equipment (Including several previously opened powder cans and a couple thousand primers) in the attic in 1991, just pulled it all out 2 months ago. One can of 4064 had red dust when it came out so I tossed it. All the primers and the rest of the powder functions perfect.

These items were just sitting in cardboard boxes. So sealed in a cartridge, it should last a lifetime.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The only time that I have seen ammo issues is here in the M.E when ammo has been stored in conex containers where the temps will be well over 100 degrees for many months at a time. IIRC from my ammunition handling/ training powder will start to degrade at temperatures above 105 degrees. I know that magazines onboard a ship must cooled using artificial cooling procedures if the temp reaches 105 or greater, which is why we had calibrated thermometers inside the magazines.
    Last edited by Iraqgunz; 11-30-08 at 01:54.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com