Thread: On varmint barrels...

Feedback Score

On varmint barrels...

A local store has one of the Remington 783 Varmint models, with the laminated stock. Looks quite nice. I noticed that this has a 26 inch heavy profile barrel. I get that the heavy barrel takes longer to heat up under sustained fire (although a bolt gun probably wouldn't have to worry too much), but what's the theory behind 26 inches of barrel? Squeeze a little more velocity out of the round?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    More velocity, though this dependent on many different variables- cartridge, pressure, bullet weight, powder amount/type, etc. Generally, the more overbore a cartridge is, the more barrel length will affect velocity.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Varmint barrel is generally quite heavy and you will max out velocity. Do you need the 26, probably not but you could stretch it out if you want. What caliber?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You're not going to be walking around when hunting prairie dogs, so the length and weight of the rifle don't matter much.

If weight and length don't matter much, it a makes a lot of sense to get as much performance as possible. This is accomplished with a stiff long barrel.

But as was previously alluded, a 22.250 or .220 Swift benefits more from a longer barrel than a .223 Rem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Varmint barrel is generally quite heavy and you will max out velocity. Do you need the 26, probably not but you could stretch it out if you want. What caliber?

PB
    This was in .308.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    .....and a 308 benefits from 26" of barrel even more than a 220 Swift.

Traditionally, varmints aren't shot at 800+ yards, so the increased velocity isn't to keep the bullets supersonic to a further distance.
    It gives the benefit of less wind drift and flatter trajectory. They also aren't generally shot with rifles chambered in 308 Winchester.
    Last edited by grizzman; 07-06-20 at 17:49.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, .308 seems like a lot of bullet for your average varmint. But Remington markets it as a varmint rifle. I suppose if you don't mind lugging around all that weight it would be a decent general purpose hunting rifle.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    This was in .308.
    Bingo, that gun could do a lot.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Just as an FYI, this is the gun in question:

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...el-783-varmint

Most feedback seems to be highly praiseworthy of it's accuracy. Knocks against it are the occasional rough/burred chamber, but that's nothing new for Remington guns today, it seems.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    NOT speaking of anything made in the past decade or so...but the old Remington Varmint rifles were SUPERB.
    You could get the triggers just right, the rifles were made right, and the ones in .223, 22-250, .243 were insane accurate.
    I know a guy who has put tens of thousands of rounds downrange thru them with Unertl scopes, Ive shot them and they were just amazing.
    No clue about anything currently made.
    I have a HUGE longing for an old Varmint in .243...thats my fave caliber.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.