Thread: Question for those who recently purchased Trijicon HDs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question for those who recently purchased Trijicon HDs

Just picked up a set of Trijicon HD night sights for my PPQ M1. They were brand new in original, unopened packaging.

The front sight was pristine. On the rear sight, where the serrations and tritium lamps are, the top portion of the serrations that the lamps sit in had some sort of white film in the recessed areas.

When holding up the sight, it was distracting. Furthermore, some of the film occluded a portion of the right (from the shooter’s perspective) lamp when viewed in the dark. Made the rear sight picture look uneven, and 20% of the right lamp was not visible.

I was able to use a sharp dental tool I keep around to remove the occlusion from the right lamp (looked light some sort of tiny piece of dry film). I also used it to scrape off most of the white film in the serrations’ recesses (to get rid of the distracting color/glare).

I have a replacement set on the way, but can anyone tell me what this stuff was (dried silicone that overflowed when sealing the lamp/sapphire crown?)? First experience with this variation of HDs and while I’m happy with the design, I’m wondering if I got a rear sight that slipped through QC, or if this is something normal that I should expect on the next set.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’d suspect glue from the tritium vial.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    I’d suspect glue from the tritium vial.
    Thanks for the reply and confirmation. Appreciate it. I figured it was some sort of adhesive. I also figured they’d clean it off prior packaging and shipping.

I’ve since Googled some pictures and found some shots where you can see the faint adhesive residue in the area I was referring to.

The residue in the serrations wasn’t that big of deal. Don’t give a darn about the aesthetics. But, mine was so thick it was bordering on white paint, which was giving me glare (negating the serrations’ purpose in the first place).

The biggest problem was some kind of film (darker in color) that was stuck on the vial and occluding about 15-20% of the glow from one of the tritium vials, which was giving me a funky looking sight picture.

I scraped most of it out and cleared the occlusion. I’m guessing hitting that area with rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip and then a light coating of Slip 2000 should take it down to the bare metal. Unless anyone has any other recommendations.
    Last edited by zibby43; 07-03-20 at 19:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just as an update, I got my replacement set today, and the rear sight is good to go. Nothing like the first.

I’ve also been in communication with Trijicon customer service, and they’ve been very pleasant to work with. Said the first rear sight was unacceptable.

Just thought I’d share in case someone else runs into the same situation.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Glad it worked out. Trijicon doesn’t like to have warranty claims but they’ll make it right when they do.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Glad it worked out. Trijicon doesn’t like to have warranty claims but they’ll make it right when they do.
    Thank you. And thanks again for your assistance.

Feedback Score
    I just installed two new sets, both Trijicon HD XRs. No issues like you had. The VP9 went on OK. The G17 Gen 4 shoots 3” high; Trijicon is sending me a higher front sight blade.

I own 4 other standard HD sets before the two above. Definitely never had an issue.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I've had three sets of the PPQ sights, and they've all been good to go out of the packaging. Glad to hear Trijicon took care of you. Enjoy the sights, they're my favorite irons.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    I just installed two new sets, both Trijicon HD XRs. No issues like you had. The VP9 went on OK. The G17 Gen 4 shoots 3” high; Trijicon is sending me a higher front sight blade.

I own 4 other standard HD sets before the two above. Definitely never had an issue.
    Very nice. Happy to hear another positive experience with Trijicon’s customer service. Sounds like you’ve got an excellent stable of handguns, too. Appreciate the feedback.

On a side note, it looks like it’s pretty rare to get an out-of-spec component from them (which is good). The past month has been a bad luck run for me - slipped on the top stair of my home with my hands full, went down all 13 stairs and broke my tailbone and my right elbow.

2020 is the gift that keeps on giving.

Quote Originally Posted by HCrum87hc View Post
    I've had three sets of the PPQ sights, and they've all been good to go out of the packaging. Glad to hear Trijicon took care of you. Enjoy the sights, they're my favorite irons.
    Many thanks for the reply. I knew this forum would have relevant experience from serious shooters. And thank you! That’s encouraging feedback. I’m hoping they turn out to be my favorites as well. I went with the orange front sight. Looking forward to putting them on ASAP.