Thread: Grendel Upper Locking Up After Firing

Feedback Score

Grendel Upper Locking Up After Firing

So I took my new Grendel upper build to the range yesterday to break it in. I was tuning the gas as well at the same time, so after shot #1, the BCG did not lock back. I was able to manually charge and eject the round. Adjusted the gas out one full turn. Shot #2, and the BCG still did not lock back. I attempted to charge and eject manually, but it was locked up. I could not get the charging handle and BCG to come back. I used a rubber mallet and tapped on the charging handle. After a 8-9 taps, it came free and I was able to charge and eject the round. I re-lubed everything and shot #3. Locked up again. One more shot using a different lower receiver, shot #4 locked up again.
    I used Hornady 123grn SST's.
    The rifle passed function check and manually cycled and ejected ammo from a mag just fine prior to shooting.
    Inspecting parts, the BCG, charging handle and gas tube looked fine.
    I did fine this gouge/wear spot (shiny spot) on the inside of the receiver where it is obviously sticking.

Spot 1.jpg

Spot#2.jpg

spot 3.jpg

I am leaning toward it being an out of spec upper receiver? I would appreciate the opinions of others.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I would swap carriers and cam pins with another rifle and see if the problem follows the carrier, upper or neither. Seems like one of the 2 is out of spec.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you have the proper bolt and barrel combo? Grendel has like 3 versions out and they're not compatible, the .264lbc, 6.5 grendel, and type 1 and type 2 6.5 grendel bolts with different bolt face depths (.136 vs .125 if memory serves).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Do you have the proper bolt and barrel combo? Grendel has like 3 versions out and they're not compatible, the .264lbc, 6.5 grendel, and type 1 and type 2 6.5 grendel bolts with different bolt face depths (.136 vs .125 if memory serves).
    Yes, type II for both. I even measured the bolt to ensure that it was 0.136.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How to the bolt lugs look? Any burrs or crap the could catch inside the star chamber?

Feedback Score
    Might just be that the gas system isn’t working. It can be very hard to extract a fired round by hand without help from the gas. I’ve often had to “mortar” the gun open when testing a barrel that didn’t yet have a gas port.

Feedback Score
    I got it figured out and fixed. The gas tube had a crack in it by the gas block. I put a new tube on and it works fine now. Thanks for the feedback.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    I got it figured out and fixed. The gas tube had a crack in it by the gas block. I put a new tube on and it works fine now. Thanks for the feedback.
    Glad it was something simple.