Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Value Ballistic Helmets

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Best Value Ballistic Helmets

Happy Independence Day guys!

I’m starting to piece together a NV setup and looking to pick up a helmet first. Wanting to go ballistic for the occasional shoothouse class or other general preparedness.

I’ve been looking around and weighing what’s actually available with the price and features. I’m not looking for the cheapest, but the best value for someone who’s not a “professional user.”

Budget is <$1k (hopefully I can save a few hundred more)

Looking around and researching it looks like Team Wendy might fit the bill with their 20% off sale right now. From what I understand they lead in the comfort department and I wouldn’t need to upgrade pads and such.

The other leading option is a Gentex TBH-IIIA MC High Cut Helmet. Best price I’ve found is around $700 but my understanding is you need to upgrade pads and suspension to be on par with the comfort of the TW. And may end up being the same price. I’m also unsure if it’s actually available at some of the vendors I looked at. (What’s also interesting is the price on those ranges anywhere from the $700 to $1kish mark, not sure why there would be that much variance.)

Ops Core pricing is crazy high, same with A lot of the other name brands.

So what options do y’all suggest? Anything I’m missing?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Gentex TBH will probably be cheapest but they’re always OOS like most Opscore products. OP Tactical had some about 6-8 weeks ago, literally days after I bought my Airframe. As always, used may be cheaper but buying secondhand armor is always sketchy. I’m worried about when I try to sell my Airframe even though I’m super cautious about not dropping armor.

I can’t speak on the pads and harness, aside from all the TW pad sets I’ve used in the past have been solid. I should be getting some time on their chinstrap in a week or two though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Honestly, it'd probably be hard to find a better deal than the Gentex at $700 or the TW you already mentioned.

I was lucky enough to grab an OpsCore FAST from Arms Unlimited when they were blowing them out for $850 (they were technically "Maritime" helmets as they use the Maritime materials but were a different cut than the standard Maritime helmets. High cut vs super high cut, if memory serves). I've seen a few people listing them on the EE on TOS for around that price, so it may be worth finding one used. I think Gentex/OpsCore has a 14-16 week lead time on most helmets currently, from what I understand.

I ended up taking the OpsCore guts out of mine as they were pretty stiff. I swapped them for a Team Wendy Cam Fit suspension system and 4d Tactical Deluxe Pads. If you end up going this route, you're probably adding another $250-$300 on top if your price. Honestly, it was well worth it for me as it eliminated the hot spots and helped with stability. YMMV. If you think you may go this route though, I'd make sure to quadruple check your measurements. If you are on the upper end of sizing and think you'll want to upgrade pads and/or suspension then it may be beneficial to go a size up to make room for the pads, as they are thicker than the factory OpsCore/Gentex pads.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    Honestly, it'd probably be hard to find a better deal than the Gentex at $700 or the TW you already mentioned.

I was lucky enough to grab an OpsCore FAST from Arms Unlimited when they were blowing them out for $850 (they were technically "Maritime" helmets as they use the Maritime materials but were a different cut than the standard Maritime helmets. High cut vs super high cut, if memory serves). I've seen a few people listing them on the EE on TOS for around that price, so it may be worth finding one used. I think Gentex/OpsCore has a 14-16 week lead time on most helmets currently, from what I understand.

I ended up taking the OpsCore guts out of mine as they were pretty stiff. I swapped them for a Team Wendy Cam Fit suspension system and 4d Tactical Deluxe Pads. If you end up going this route, you're probably adding another $250-$300 on top if your price. Honestly, it was well worth it for me as it eliminated the hot spots and helped with stability. YMMV. If you think you may go this route though, I'd make sure to quadruple check your measurements. If you are on the upper end of sizing and think you'll want to upgrade pads and/or suspension then it may be beneficial to go a size up to make room for the pads, as they are thicker than the factory OpsCore/Gentex pads.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    I hate how thick the 4D pads are. They add like two inches of height to my helmet over the TW offerings.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I hate how thick the 4D pads are. They add like two inches of height to my helmet over the TW offerings.
    I agree. I like them a lot, but was honestly surprised at how thick they are. I got lucky that I fell right in the middle of the medium sizing, or I'd have been SOL and been forced into trading/selling my helmet for a large.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Thanks guys, seems like getting the Gentex and adding the right pads/liner will put me pretty much where the TW Exfil is right outta the box with their 20% off sale right now. And TW is actually available.

Regarding sizing, at what point do you size up if you’re looking at possibly using head worn ear pro? For example, with TW, their size range on the M/L Exfil is 20.5 – 23.5 circumference. I’m at ~22 1/8. Should I go with the M/L?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Have you looked at Hard Headed Veterans?
    They are the budget option, but seem pretty good, particularly if one does not expect to go to war with it. I’m leaning that way versus an ACH.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Regarding sizing, at what point do you size up if you’re looking at possibly using head worn ear pro?
    1) You definitely will want to get a Size 1 TW Exfil. I have an enormous head and wear a Size 2 with plenty of space. If you get the XL (Size 2), you're going to swim in it.

2) The TW Boa really doesn't play well with under the helmet earpro. The constricting band that runs over your temple will compress the ear cups themselves and there's no really comfortable way to get around this outside of helmet mounting your ears. If you go this route, then don't worry about sizing, as it does not matter. I'm not sure how well the Boa will play with neckband headsets, as I don't own or use any.

If you go the TW route, opt for the 3.0 rails and if you helmet mount comms, go with the Unity Mark adapters. I wish I had the 3.0 rail so I could more easily mount a light and the Mark adapters have a secure attachment with a small profile compared to the Peltor/3M style of the factory TW offering.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I too am in the market (loosely) for a ballistic helmet. I have been looking at the Team Wendy over the OPS Core. If I am reading correctly above, that seems to be a good choice, correct?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Best Value Ballistic Helmets

OP Tactical has Gentex TBH-IIIas in stock. I ordered one this morning to compare to my airframe and it should be here on Monday.

HHV did some sketch and/or garbage stuff within the past few years. I don’t remember what, but it was enough that I’d decided they wouldn’t get my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast