Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Cleaning Setup

Feedback Score

Best Cleaning Setup

Hey All,

After cleaning my AR last night I realized I only have the old school USGI sectioned rod. I cringed putting it through the barrel hearing metal on metal contact even though I was careful for the most part. From what I understand, the steel used in the rod is softer than in barrels, so I can't damage the barrel even if there is inevitable contact correct? Either way, what rods do you guys use to clean your barrels, and are bore snakes preferred over rods? I have old gun cleaning equipment so looking for recommendations for a new, modern setup.

Feedback Score
    Otis cleaning kit with coated cleaning cable. Minimal risk of damage to crown

Feedback Score
    Just an FYI, since you seem pretty OCD in your other thread, unless you have a precision setup you don't need to keep your AR spotless. You probably risk more damage from cleaning than shooting. I only clean my ARs every thousand rounds or so, and even then it's a quick wipe down and a couple patches run through the barrel. I'll wipe down the BCG a little more often when using a suppressor, since it's much dirtier. I do regularly lube my rifles so I never have any issues.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I keep cleaning to a minimum. Can do more harm then good. I’ll wipe the BCG and gun down with a rag and relube.

I run an Otis Ripcord down the barrel when I’m done shooting and that’s about it. I just keep them wet. I have chrome lined barrels though. If I had a stainless barrel I’d probably scrub it more often.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
    Hey All,

After cleaning my AR last night I realized I only have the old school USGI sectioned rod. I cringed putting it through the barrel hearing metal on metal contact even though I was careful for the most part. From what I understand, the steel used in the rod is softer than in barrels, so I can't damage the barrel even if there is inevitable contact correct? Either way, what rods do you guys use to clean your barrels, and are bore snakes preferred over rods? I have old gun cleaning equipment so looking for recommendations for a new, modern setup.
    I use a Dewey coated rod. They basically last forever. I consider keeping the chamber clean more important than keeping bore clean. If I'm in a hurry I will bore snake the barrel, but the chamber I don't scrimp on.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve had good luck just using bore snakes for the bore and a short rod with a chamber brush and drill. Also spray nine as a general cleaner / degreaser. Brake cleaner and then lubing things back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I usually just add a couple drops of oil to a boresnake and pull it through a couple times to prevent corrosion. It does little in the way of actual cleaning, which isn’t really necessary anyway. This is all that really needs to be done for thousands of rounds, unless you’re a super duper tiny group guy.

Whenever I want to actually clean it, I use the Otis kits on the bore, along with a USGI chamber brush and Brownells chamber mop. I used to have a carbon fiber rod and a set of jags, but I broke it attempting to clean an AK74. But such a device is probably “best” if you don’t get stupid with it.

Edit: the above advice is only applicable to bores, and gives no consideration to the rest of the gun.
    Last edited by 1168; 07-05-20 at 12:30.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I haven't cleaned mine for about 5-6k rounds. It's starting to look like filthy 14 lol

Feedback Score
    I have the segmented AR cleaning kit but I also have an Otis one that put in my range bag. I also have carbon fiber Tipton cleaning rod that I use sometimes as well. But for basic cleaning I use my Otis cleaning kit the most. I do have a chamber maid with a chamber brush and mop that I use and does a great job cleaning the chamber.

Feedback Score
    Dewey coated rods and a bore guide. Work well for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast