Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could start over - what would you do differently?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

If you could start over - what would you do differently?

Let’s assume for purposes of this discussion there wasn’t a global Scamdemic and massive civil unrest. Prices are “normal” and things are available.

Let’s assume you have zero guns at all but the exact dollar value of your *current* collection in liquid cash (IE this isn’t a “fantasy” build thread. If you have 3 ARs worth $1000 each your budget for this thread is $3k)

What would you do differently? What would you buy and not buy?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    SR15x3
    G19x3

Edit:
    G43
    G48
    9mm AR
    Win Levergun
    Benelli M2
    AK in 7.62, and another in 5.45
    HK93
    MP5
    G35

Shite; its a disease.
    Last edited by 1168; 07-17-20 at 17:49.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Nothing.

I have some Colt ARs, and some Glock 17s, 17Ks, and 43s.

Ton of mags, ammo, parts/support gear for everything.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    If the time was when I first got into firearms, 6920 x 3 and G19 x 3 and ammo until however much I have is gone. Uppers could be replaced with whatever is current as each one is shot out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd go straight to lpvo and offset buis.
    I'd skip ar pistols/sbrs, a 14.5" p/w will do the same just fine.
    Streamline and standardize ammo far sooner. No more than 3 types max, preferably two.
    A couple more surefire 60rd mags.
    Really should get thermal.
    Off the top of my head.
    Everything else I've done I would do again

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There isn't much that I would feel a need to change, though a buddy has a FDE earlier KAC model carbine that I still wish I had....

I might have a couple more KAC carbines if I was changing things around, but I honestly don't feel bad about anything I have.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'd focus on consolidating my weapons a few different ways.

1. No toys. If a weapon can't serve in a duty roll, it's voted off the island. (Recently did this).

2. Dump every oddball caliber I have in favor of 5.56 and 9mm (I've actually already done this). Maybe keep .308 or 6.5CM for longer range stuff, if applicable.

3. Quit building weapons that can't fill multiple roles, unless absolutely necessary. (Currently in the middle of doing this).

Example:

I have a few 14.5" rifles, as well as a 10.3" and 11.5" "pistol". All have Aimpoints/Eotechs. I also have an 18" SPR with a MK12 barrel. All of them are awesome weapons and I enjoy shooting them. Honestly though, for the price, I could have built two 14.5" or 16" midlength rifles with 1-10's that would have covered a much larger use field without giving up much at all. (One with and one without a PEQ15/MAWL).

I also could have scraped the 10.3" RDS build and setup a 12.5" with a 1-6 and PEQ15/MAWL for a little more.

That would leave me with one dedicated 11.5" NV gun with a RDS. I'd have two general purpose 14.5" midlengths one with and one without NV capability (think jack of all trades, master of none type builds). Then I'd have a 12.5" with a lighter LPVO and laser that bridges the gap between the two in both weight and capability.

Everything going on lately has really pushed me to consider what I need vs what I want. Everything I don't need can be sold and used to acquire what I currently need but don't already have.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    I'd focus on consolidating my weapons a few different ways.

1. No toys. If a weapon can't serve in a duty roll, it's voted off the island. (Recently did this).

2. Dump every oddball caliber I have in favor of 5.56 and 9mm (I've actually already done this). Maybe keep .308 or 6.5CM for longer range stuff, if applicable.

3. Quit building weapons that can't fill multiple roles, unless absolutely necessary. (Currently in the middle of doing this).
    Exactly the process I went through recently. I have some duplicates I don't plan on getting rid of. But I see them as backups.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Actually HAVE cleared out all the clutter and narrowed it down to the meat and potatoes...

14.5/16" middy's and RMR'd Glocks.
    6.5 CM bolt guns for the LR stuff....

The end.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 07-15-20 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    In retrospect, my buying, trying, and selling only helped me prove or disprove that the grass was or was not greener with a particular firearm. I started with C&Rs, though, and there's a Pokemon element to that. I actually documented why I sold every gun to minimize regrets!

Most of our bad spending boils down to the fact that guns and accessories are hard to buy:

1. It's difficult to know what works for you until you try it. YouTube reviews and on-paper speeds and feeds don't substitute for hands-on experience.

2. You can only rarely test drive hardware, especially at the high end.

3. Reviews are utterly dreadful. Non-comparative reviews don't help you choose between options. Instead, most reviews seem to validate existing purchases or stoke further buying and trying. But, even when they do help, that may not quench the "what if" fire.

4. Needs and wants vary considerably by person. Best example for me was the M14 vs. FAL. Internet wisdom declares the M14 garbage and the FAL godlike but my experience was completely the opposite.

5. Online advice devolves into "join my bandwagon". M4C is better than most about this.

6. They're regulated and taboo. Also, many gun stores still look and smell like the 1970s.
    Last edited by Danus ex; 07-05-20 at 16:54.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast