Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could start over - what would you do differently?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The hard truth behind getting ready for the coming decade is that you should probably get rid of any gun that isnt an AR. Your gun safe should looks like an arms room, nothing buts ARs, Glocks or whatever modern duty pistol family you choose, ammo and spare parts.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Oh boy I have thought about this many many times. My thought was always, if my house burned to the ground and the safes didn't protect, (which I think they would) what would I buy today. Ive got so much shit its stupid.

1) SR15 with NX1-18 w/KAC can
    2) Colt 6945, Aimpoint, DT Sig 556 can
    Done with AR's

3) Tactical Bolt guns: .223-6.5CM-300WM with cans, maybe another 300 for hunting

4) Handguns: 9mm sub-compact, one full sized, one competition gun if full sized didn't render good enough with RDS's

5) 12g and 20g shotguns for bird hunting

6) Be hard to not own a full sized revolver and 1911, but do I need 8 of each, probably not.

Its just ridiculous the crap I've bought and am too lazy to sell. Maybe this thread will get me going. I need to set up my own Gunbroker account and get dirty.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-06-20 at 14:24.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

If you could start over - what would you do differently?

I’d buy;

one SR-15 with an LPVO
    Colt mk18 mod1 with an comp M4s
    PEQs and cans for both
    1/2 dozen G19/17s

Stock pile Colt SOCOM barrels, BCGs, lowers etc.
    Ammo, parts, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    While my gun collection was a mess for a long time, I'm better than most about buying sufficient quantities of ammunition. Along that line, another idiot thing I did was buy ~20000 rounds each of 7.62x54R after my first love (Finn Mosins), then 7.62x39 after getting into AKs, then 5.45 after getting into AK-74s, then 7.62 NATO after FALs. Shit was cheaper then.

All the Soviet stuff's gone now. I got sick of ammo after that and never bought the one cartridge I should have. So all my ARs are AR-10s.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danus ex View Post
    buying sufficient quantities of ammunition.
    While I think people have gotten better about this, it's still a point to work on. I've set 'ammo goals', or numbers to get above and stay above, instead of buying a yearly allowance, then shooting most of it, then rebuying next year. I've gotten north of most of what I wanted, which gives me 5+ years of 'normal shooting / training' or fricking decades if I'd go to max conserve.

Buying ammo monthly (up until now) has been helpful, like dollar cost averaging in stocks. Of course I wish I had been more aggressive in buying again after the holidays before the R & R hit (Rona and the Riots), but I'm still more than good.

Because all the weapons in the world aren't worth much if you can't shoot them.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    The hard truth behind getting ready for the coming decade is that you should probably get rid of any gun that isnt an AR. Your gun safe should looks like an arms room, nothing buts ARs, Glocks or whatever modern duty pistol family you choose, ammo and spare parts.
    Why? You planning to issue out LE6920s and G19s to your neighbors?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I am very content with what I have now by way of rifles and handguns.

9mm Glocks with a bunch of spare parts to keep them running a long time
    Colt, LMT, and BCM AR's with a bunch of spare parts to keep them running a long time
    A safe full of ammo to keep them running a long time

Feedback Score
    I wouldn’t do much differently. I would have held onto the preban Eagle Arms XM177 copy I had with aluminum telestock. I would have sold the SCAR17s back during the election scare when people were paying up to $8000 for them and $150 a magazine. But I foolishly didn’t because I thought it was the best heavy carbine and it wasn’t. I wish I had bought AK’s when they were cheap along with the Bulgarian poly waffles. I wouldn’t have bought 2 pricey 1911’s, instead maybe found a nice used SIG P210 instead. And lastly wish I had bought more surplus guns and ammo when it was all coming in. I know they are not tactical, but still fun to shoot.

Feedback Score
    If I lost it all in a fire and had to replace it:

1.) KAC SR-15 16” with LPVO probably a Nightforce.

2.) Same as above with an Aimpoint Comp M5.

Spare parts kits, magazines, slings, and lights for the above. Pretty much done with 5.56mm guns at that point, I suppose maybe a Colt M4A1 identical to my SOCOM II. If I could snag the Daniel Defense made version with their hammer forged M4A1 contour barrel and RIS II that would be great too.

Pistols I would just get a couple of optic ready Wilson Combat EDC X9’s, one 4” and one 5” and a pile of magazines for them. Probably stick RMR 2’s on them due to battery life being better than my ACRO P-1. I’d probably pick up a Wilson Combat CQB that was optic ready as well.

I’d have to get another Freedom Arms M83 identical time my current one. So no change there.

Same for my rimfire rifles, I love them and wouldn’t change a thing.

Rimfire match pistol, I guess I’d go for a Pardini since they’re still supported in the US unlike my old Benelli.

If I had the funds I’d replace my current hunting rifle, a Cooper M52 in .280 AI with a precision oriented bolt action rifle. I don’t hunt much anymore, and would rather bang steel that kill critters I have no interest in eating.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldn’t have bought that Waffen Werks 74 as my first rifle. Or I would’ve at least bought a 74 and several cases of 7n6 when I was 18 instead of when I was 22 and the shit got banned a few months later. Instead I would’ve started off with a 14.5” BCM lightweight middy with an FSB and a 9” FF rail as my “general” carbine. Probably wouldn’t have waited 3 years to take a training course either; three rounds fired before training were mostly wasted compared to the rounds I’ve fired since.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast