Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: If you could start over - what would you do differently?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    I believe in quality myself, but I for the life of me don’t see one KAC commanding the price they do. Maybe I’m wrong. I’ve fired them. They were nice guns. But for the price or two of them, I can have a hard-use training rifle, a backup, and I can arm two friends...or have a good stock pile of ammo.

I’ve fired some M110s and certainly was not impressed by the accuracy and they seemed to have a wandering zero, perhaps induced by how the bipod was loaded.

The juice just isn’t worth the squeeze, at least on the models I’ve run. Maybe some
    Of the newer designs have addressed accuracy/wandering POI on 7.62 rifles. Though one thing buying a rifle like a KAC offers, its ready to go out of the box without any fuss or adding anything to tune it up.
    All I know, is I hit stuff with my SR-15 that I have missed with my friend's high accuracy competition rifle. Is it all in my head because I spent more or because it is really a better rifle FOR ME?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wish I could have started in the AR game earlier--I've read some older threads on this site and some of the good deals on bare bones 6920s sound like awesome guns for my purposes.

As a new guy in the AR game I appreciate the advice on here, I'm doing my best to avoid buying the new and shiny or the cheap and too good to be true, and stick with proven components.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a BCM 9" 300 SBR, Geissele SD 5.56 SBR, Geissele SD 16", Glock 19

Wouldn't change a thing, just need more ammo!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    All I know, is I hit stuff with my SR-15 that I have missed with my friend's high accuracy competition rifle. Is it all in my head because I spent more or because it is really a better rifle FOR ME?
    Or familiarity. What kind of targets? What range? Not saying I doubt you but context matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Or familiarity. What kind of targets? What range? Not saying I doubt you but context matters.
    Aggressive dogs mainly, generally on the full run from ~30yards to ~200yards. Between dope growers and meth cookers, there are plenty of aggressive dogs out here. More static targets like Coyotes are even easier.

Regarding familiarity, somewhat true as I have been around AR-15's for many years. Motivation is likely a factor too as I don't like being dog bit with only a hatchet or knife to fend for myself. Cow chasing and chicken killing dogs are not as threatening to me personally but, are pretty hard on my finances so, there is plenty of motivation there.

In the end, a well-balanced rifle for offhand shooting with a super smooth firing sequence that swings smoothly for fast-moving targets is simply easier to use. Superior accuracy doesn't hurt either because if I miss I know with 99% certainly there was a technique deficiency with me, the trigger puller, and not the rifle or ammo.
    Last edited by Sid Post; 07-12-20 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn’t have sold my granddads Marlin 336 35 that I inherited... not that it’s an amazing gun but it was his and he hunted with it but I was a dumbass 25 year old Marine and thought it was a Fudd rifle. Selling it and marrying my exwife are my 2 biggest life regrets.
    I would have not bought the FNAR 308, both Saiga 308’s or the M1A loaded in my quest to find a semi 308 I liked. Probably would have done a KAC SR 25 instead of all of those but I don’t know that a semi 308 adds anything for me.
    I would have skipped the Smith and Wesson Sigma 40 which was a jam machine.
    Where I ended up is good with BCM and Daniel Defense AR’s.. 3 9mm Glocks and a 308 Bolt gun. Still have a Glock 40 that just sits. I did well in quality of gun and optics and lots of magazines and ammo. Lower than I want to be on 9 with maybe 300 rounds of HST and 50 rounds of FMJ.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    spend the money i spent over the years on suppressors instead of buying guns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    More transferable machineguns, less semiautos.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    I wouldn’t have sold my granddads Marlin 336 35 that I inherited... not that it’s an amazing gun but it was his and he hunted with it but I was a dumbass 25 year old Marine and thought it was a Fudd rifle. Selling it and marrying my exwife are my 2 biggest life regrets.
    I would have not bought the FNAR 308, both Saiga 308’s or the M1A loaded in my quest to find a semi 308 I liked. Probably would have done a KAC SR 25 instead of all of those but I don’t know that a semi 308 adds anything for me.
    I would have skipped the Smith and Wesson Sigma 40 which was a jam machine.
    Where I ended up is good with BCM and Daniel Defense AR’s.. 3 9mm Glocks and a 308 Bolt gun. Still have a Glock 40 that just sits. I did well in quality of gun and optics and lots of magazines and ammo. Lower than I want to be on 9 with maybe 300 rounds of HST and 50 rounds of FMJ.
    My Sigma (VE?) 40 was quite reliable but a waste of time. I was able to sell it without taking a huge hit.

Every .40 I bought was a mistake.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    My Sigma (VE?) 40 was quite reliable but a waste of time. I was able to sell it without taking a huge hit.

Every .40 I bought was a mistake.

Andy
    Basically yes. I was all 40 from about 1994 until 2014. From Sigma to 40 Glocks. Shooting IDPA and looking at my followup shot times on a shot timer on a Glock 17 vs a Glock 22 finally convinced me that I was gaining nothing by staying with the 40's over 9.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast