Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: If you could start over - what would you do differently?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I did a lot of horse trading to get where I am and I am pretty good with where I ended up. If I had to start over I’d likely start with a Glock 43x, 45 MOS, Sig MCX 11.5 5.56, and a Scar 20S. I would get a Colt 6920 just to have that around as well.

I like to think that I am more of a shooter and I would spend the rest on ammo but I do like having some of the odd ball stuff around. I would also spend more money on optics. Something I still need to do.

I would buy a flow through OSS(or SIG if they make it to market soon) can instead of the traditional one I have and skip the pistol can altogether.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Gosh, I feel like I have bought it all, sold it all, bought it all again, rinse repeat etc.

If I could just eliminate all of my inventory, erase my stamps, and start over fresh:

Carbine:
    BCM 12.5 MCMR Upper, BCG, GF CH
    Dead Air Sandman K
    Geissele SSAE
    Radian Safety
    KAC Irons
    Scalarworks T2 Combo
    Modlite PLHV2, HSP Thorntail, Surefire SR07

That would do everything I have ever needed of a gun in my life as someone who lives in a city and carries a gun for a living.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Even 10-15 years ago...this!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    More transferable machineguns, less semiautos.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    SR-15
    ACOG TA11H w/ piggybacked RM01
    PEQ-15
    Vamp SF Scout

G17 w/ Dawson adjustables
    X300U

I would have bought more of the Magtech 62gr FMJ when it was available everywhere, and I would have standardized on 147gr Gold Dot for 9mm and 62gr Fusion MSR for .223.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I kind of do this a lot. I don’t like to have lots of stuff I don’t use so I’ll buy and sell things to try different stuff or whatever. So what I have now is what I like.

BCM 14.5 with a warcomp and a couple g19s for the “serious” stuff.

I’d like to get a JP 18” AR for fun stuff.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The easy minimalist set up is:

Buy/build a quality A5 lower, a 14.5 or 16" 5.56 upper, a 16" 6.8 or 6.5G upper, and a 16" dedicated rimfire upper.

Add a Glock 19 with a rimfire conversion kit, a pump 12 gauge with 2 barrels and some chokes, optics, and decent .30 and .22 lr supressors.

Only need to have 3 firearms to handle any need but big bear/elk/moose. Borrow a 30 magnum or larger for them.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I actually switch my setups more often than I should for the purpose of trying new things. I've tried multiple different platforms, calibers, mags, optics, ammunitions, lights, mounts, rails, etc. You name it. Everytime I sell and buy something new, I take a small loss. So If I were to start at the very beginning, I would skip the crap in between and land myself where I am now. Currently running a PWS Mk111 Mod1 on an LMT MARS SBR'd lower (Aimpoint t2), and a PWS Mk116 Mod2 setup for more of a Recce role (Viper PST Gen2 1-6). Share a Rugged Razor between the two.

The only thing I would change about how I got to where I am now:
    I would have gotten the suppressor way sooner
    SBR'd sooner
    Stuck with the AR platform instead of spending time trying to find something better
    Stuck with Okay Ind. USGI style magazines
    Bought a lot more ammo
    Skip the PCC band wagon
    Consolidated calbers (9mm and 5.56) sooner
    Ideally I would have a basic DI setup just for parts commonality with others, but having 2 PWS long stroke pistons is fine by me.

It's been a longer road, but having tried everything I have allowed me to find what truly works for me and gives me confidence. So I don't have TOO many regrets, but would have been noce to just know without spending the money I suppose.

Last edited by Hox013; 07-15-20 at 18:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    I would have bought a M&P AR 22 and trained on that in my spare time to save money on ammo... I still haven't done this, and am looking at a new AR10 currently, so shame on me.
    I convinced myself rimfire was the way to save money. After several thousand dollars in rimfire guns, optics, mods and cans, I saved about all I could afford.

Feedback Score
    Starting from scratch with the funds to do it in one go. I’d get a few bcm standard midlength rifles, Aimpoint pros, a few Glock 19’s and a 26, piles of mags, and ammo.

Keep it simple.

Feedback Score
    I like the 'keep it simple /minimalist' philosophy. I recently sold a few items and have my collection down to the bare essentials. Two 10.3" 5.56 AR pistols, two 9mm RMR pistols, and two new ruger MK IV .22 pistols just for fun. I live in an urban environment, what I have will handle any evil within a 100 yd radius if need be.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast