Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could start over - what would you do differently?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    If I sold everything I have now and had to buy everything new...

...I'd buy the same things.

Except my retro AR would have a 1:7 twist barrel instead of a 1:12.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danus ex View Post
    In retrospect, my buying, trying, and selling only helped me prove or disprove that the grass was or was not greener with a particular firearm. I started with C&Rs, though, and there's a Pokemon element to that. I actually documented why I sold every gun to minimize regrets!

Most of our bad spending boils down to the fact that guns and accessories are hard to buy:

1. It's difficult to know what works for you until you try it. YouTube reviews and on-paper speeds and feeds don't substitute for hands-on experience.

2. You can only rarely test drive hardware, especially at the high end.

3. Reviews are utterly dreadful. Non-comparative reviews don't help you choose between options. Instead, most reviews seem to validate existing purchases or stoke further buying and trying. But, even when they do help, that may not quench the "what if" fire.

4. Needs and wants vary considerably by person. Best example for me was the M14 vs. FAL. Internet wisdom declares the M14 garbage and the FAL godlike but my experience was completely the opposite.

5. Online advice devolves into "join my bandwagon". M4C is better than most about this.

6. They're regulated and taboo. Also, many gun stores still look and smell like the 1970s.

WOW, all good points and mirror my experience as well. Thank you for the honest outlook.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If I were doing it all over I think I'd end up very close to what I have. I probably would have based my current sbr off a 6920 instead of a Spiked but I'm not gonna lose any dleep over it.

Maybe go right to PRO instead of starting with a Vortex Sparc.

Just wish I'd of bern stocking up on ammo this whole time.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'd buy a couple of KAC ambi lowers, a couple of Colt Block II uppers (10.3 & 14.5), and get a Sandman-S. From there I'd focus on NODs.

What would you do, Euro?
    "I don't just want gun rights... I want individual liberty, a culture of self-reliance....I want the whole bloody thing." - Kim du Toit

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I actually did this before all the current panic.

Gen 5 G19s, Ameriglos, Tenicor Certums
    16” ELW BCMs w/ 13” MCMRs, BFG sewn VCASs, Aimpoint PROs, Gen 3 Pmag 30s

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Purchased a BCM 16" Lt. Wt. carbine about 10 years ago. Knowing what I know now, I should have gotten a Colt 6933 or a BCM 11.5-12.5 SBR and paid the $200 stamp. Then I would have budgeted for a Surefire SOCOM RC2 or Mini2 to complete the setup. But noooo... I had to be in that "screw paying the BATF for anything" frame of mind! Live and learn. Recently sold off the BCM and plan on getting a SBR if and when the supply chain opens up. Between that and adding a can, I'll probably be waiting for those stamps for over a year. Yes sir, live and learn.

As for my pistols, I should have waited and gotten a H&K VP9SK instead of the Walther PPS Classic, but I didn't have a crystal ball at the time. All in all I'm satisfied with the other rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers that I've acquired over the years.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    More than likely look into non "M4" or lightweight profile barrels. Sure they are light but I think the standard or what we call mid weights are more useful for multiple rolls. Go back to 1913, the MRP's are just that. MLOK or KM, to slim in my opinion. When doing covers, rail for bipod or grip, you have to bridge the GB or the screws hit the GB.

If we could go into a store and do point of sale for SBR/suppressors, it would be a perfect world. Most of us would be sporting 11.5/12.5/14.5 guns with short cans.

Pistols?--that's like hitting the first floor of the marble palace on Kaiser Strasse
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Im good.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With what I have invested into 47 AR-15s, a few SIGs (MCX, 516, and 556), a BRN-180, and my 1993 KAC SR-25 Match (w/factory Mk11 Mod 0 conversion), I would have a LOT of money to shop with to buy some of the very best money can buy. It would be hard to create a list without some serious thought. I am glad I have what I do. Not everyone is a fortunate.

ETA: I am not hurting for ammo either.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 07-05-20 at 21:24.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I’ve been buying and collecting guns for over 30 years now. I have more than I’ll ever need or want at this point.

Playing along, a couple of things:

First, I suppose I’d say I wouldn’t have the number in my collection that I don’t shoot but what fun is that? No different than any other expensive hobbies and vices as a “collector”. But, I would’ve redirected some of the investment earlier into things like NV, training, higher capabilities/force multipliers with less.

Lastly, learning from all the panics over the years, biggest thing is I would have stocked up on ammo more... Did it for mags but ammo, more ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast