Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can for Ruger 10/22 and Ruger Mk3 pistol

Feedback Score

Can for Ruger 10/22 and Ruger Mk3 pistol

I'm finally about to take the plunge and get my 1st can. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I got new in 1985 and later added a bull barrel. The rifle is sentimental as it was my 1st gun.. am I better off getting the bull barrel threaded or replacing the bull barrel with a new threaded barrel. I want to use the same can on both my 10/22 and my Mk3 pistol that came with a threaded barrel. I'm leaning towards getting the Dead Air Mask as my dedicated 22 can as feedback is great and its easy to clean and durable. Appreciate advice on the shared can question and getting the 10/22 barrel threaded or replacing its barrel.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Getting a pre-threaded barrel has several advantages.
    1) you are only waiting for it to be purchased if buying it locally or for it to ship and you can still shoot your gun.
    2) you are not waiting on a gunsmith to get to your project...depending on how much of a back log they have it could be weeks or months and you can’t shoot your gun.
    3)you can retain the original barrel for sentimental reasons or sell it to offset part of the cost of the new barrel.
    4) the cost of a pre-threaded barrel may be cheaper than having a gunsmith thread your existing barrel.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=lonestardiver;2859990]Getting a pre-threaded barrel has several advantages.
    1) you are only waiting for it to be purchased if buying it locally or for it to ship and you can still shoot your gun.
    2) you are not waiting on a gunsmith to get to your project...depending on how much of a back log they have it could be weeks or months and you can’t shoot your gun.
    3)you can retain the original barrel for sentimental reasons or sell it to offset part of the cost of the new barrel.
    4) the cost of a pre-threaded barrel may be cheaper than having a gunsmith thread your existing barrel.[/QUOT

Thanks Lonestar. I've looked at the Volquarsten 10/22 barrels, Tac Sol barrels, green mountain and a few others. I would use this rifle for squirrel hunting (from my back porch lol) and plinking and not interested in a match rifle that is finicky on ammo. Suggestions that maximize accuracy while still being able to feed all types of 22.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Others on here have had good luck with the Green Mountain barrels. I personally have only used the Volquartsen lightened tensioned barrels...the latest of which is a carbon fiber threaded barrel for my takedown. My older lightened tensioned barrel is over 2 decades old...I want to swap it for a threaded barrel some day but it does very well with CCI mini mags.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Threading without moving a front sight will typically run ~$50. Considering the cost of a new barrel of similar quality, I find it hard to justify sending it off for threading. YMMV but, with the sentimental value, the argument for a new barrel is even stronger.

In terms of a 'first' rimfire suppressor, there are a lot of good options out there. The Griffin Micro is a worthwhile consideration as it can also be used on an AR-15 and lesser calibers with the right barrel length and suppressor mount. Pricewise, it will be close to the Mask you are considering with the added flexibility of 5.56 use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From what I have heard the dead air mask is a good can. I have only had experience with the Spectre 2/22 and gemtech GM-22 cans. The Spectres are great cans and clean up easily as well but are also rated for .17hmr, .22mag, and FN 5.7 as well.

Most current rimfire cans from a reputable manufacturer will do you well. If you have the chance to try some out via a range or a friend that will help to solidify you decisions.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I purchased the Q Erector about a year ago, still awaiting stamp. I wanted a dedicated 22 can as well that I could adjust for pistol and rifle. Check it out. That is a flexible can, but limited to 22lr only.

Feedback Score
    Whatever you get buy a can with stainless baffles so you can clean it easily. 22 cans get nasty quick and having stainless baffles makes cleaning a breeze.

Feedback Score
    The Bowers Bitty is a very small 22LR plus more suppressor that's great.
    https://bowersgroup.com/product/bitty-22/

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Devildawg2531;2860053]
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
    Getting a pre-threaded barrel has several advantages.
    4) the cost of a pre-threaded barrel may be cheaper than having a gunsmith thread your existing barrel.[/QUOT

Thanks Lonestar. I've looked at the Volquarsten 10/22 barrels, Tac Sol barrels, green mountain and a few others. I would use this rifle for squirrel hunting (from my back porch lol) and plinking and not interested in a match rifle that is finicky on ammo. Suggestions that maximize accuracy while still being able to feed all types of 22.
    Your choice of ammunition is the critical part of accuracy, apart from choosing the right barrel.

My Ruger has been gutted by me:

10/22 with 16.5” Tactical Advantage Barrel, Magpul Hunter Stock, T&J Tactical Suppressor, Kidd 1 Stage Trigger Kidd Internals with Burris PEPR Cantilever Mount and Athlon Optics, Talos BTR, Riflescope, 4-14 x 44 First Focal Plane (FFP) 30mm Tube, Illuminated APLR2 MIL Reticle, EGW 20 MOA rail.

The bolt and receiver are all that’s left.

Of the Mods, the trigger, tension screw torque and barrel are the most influential on accuracy apart from ammunition selection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast