Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBR/Pistol Light Options

Feedback Score

SBR/Pistol Light Options

So I just finished ordering the last of the parts for my first AR build, it is a pistol with a 11.5" barrel and an Aero atlas s-one 9" m-lok handguard. I'm not sure what foregrip/handstop I'm gonna go with (leaning towards the BCM KAG) but regardless I will absolutely be mounting a light. I would love a surefire but the scouts are out of my budget, I'm thinking of going Streamlight Protac 1 (the smaller one) but I'm having a hard time figuring out how I want to mount everything as I find the LOP on the gun puts my support hand basically at the end of the rail, so to me that takes the 9 o' clock mount w/click cap option out. I would ideally do the normal 3 o' clock mount w/pressure pad at 12 o' clock BUT my handguard only has 12 o' clock rail on the very front and rear portions of the rail, meaning to do this I'd have to rubber band/zip tie the pressure pad on. I'm not opposed to that as many guys in the past have done so but looking for feedback from those with more experience than I, as my first light on one of my guns was the recent addition of an Olight on my carry gun. My thoughts were to run the protac 1 with an arisaka offset mount to bring it up/in and then run the pressure pad back at approximately 1-2 o'clock on the handguard where I could reach it with the middle/ring fingers of my left (support) hand and zip tie it in place. Am I crazy or would this work? It's attractive as it's a good light and that setup will run me about $150 so if someone could recommend a better option for a similar price I'd be all ears. Thanks in advance and have a good one.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    HL-X or TLR-1 is the minimum you should be looking at. 350 lumens is very under powered and for not much difference in price.

I would also suggest that your already seeing faults in your hand guard choice. Before you mount it, it may be worth considered a different one and offloading the one you have.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Most cost effective route in my eyes...

Short polymer rail (it’s not a laser or sight), pistol light... done. I did the dedicated weapon lights on my first AR (Surefire handheld light on a IWC ring mount) and Tavor (Surefire Scout light with pressure pad), and while they do work, cost over what I got is not as good as tossing a TLR-1 on.

I tend to run them on the right side, so I use my weak pointer to activate it. Reason being, if I am shooting weak hand, rather use the right thumb to work it when I’m shooting weak hand. I practice weak side, but if it comes down to it, it isn’t as proficient as my strong side.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    A similar thread you may find useful...
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...onlight-Please
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I appreciate it although that guy is looking for basically the polar opposite of what I am, he wants his light on the other side and a push cap whereas I would prefer a remote switch. Idk, if I can't find anything I'm gonna just get a good ring mount, Surefire G2X, and a BCM 89* foregrip and mount the light on the 9 o clock spot but I am trying to keep the sides of the gun as lo pro as possible, this is my "move and shoot quickly up close gun" as I have my SKS as my main rifle and my shotgun for absolute up close or indoors stuff.

Feedback Score
    I have a 600 lumen Olight on my pistol and it's ****ing awesome and I would love something that bright but honestly it isn't 100% needed as this gun will rarely see much over 100 yard shots, I just need something for quick and dirty target ID. I really like the hand guard for a myriad of reasons and I won't change it unless it somehow proves to be a problem otherwise, I pieced this AR together from scratch and spent almost a year researching literally every part down to springs and pins, I bought exactly what I wanted the first time. My problem is the gun itself is 100% American made, assembled by me, and the whole point is to keep it 100% USA (the lower receiver has the entire 2nd amendment laser etched on it) so I can't use Olight on this one build (even though I like them) as they are Chinese.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TC207 View Post
    this is my "move and shoot quickly up close gun" as I have my SKS as my main rifle and my shotgun for absolute up close or indoors stuff.
    All we needed to know.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TC207 View Post
    I appreciate it although that guy is looking for basically the polar opposite of what I am, he wants his light on the other side and a push cap whereas I would prefer a remote switch. Idk, if I can't find anything I'm gonna just get a good ring mount, Surefire G2X, and a BCM 89* foregrip and mount the light on the 9 o clock spot but I am trying to keep the sides of the gun as lo pro as possible, this is my "move and shoot quickly up close gun" as I have my SKS as my main rifle and my shotgun for absolute up close or indoors stuff.
    Consider these:

Cloud Defense OWL
    Modlight PLH with Arisaka mount
    Arisaka/Malkoff

The OWL is the simplest, and heaviest way to put a badass light on your gun with a pressure pad on the top rail. Its also cheapest, if you qualify for their first responder discounts.

The Modlight PLH V2 is nearly indistinguishable from the OWL in lighting characteristics, except for the color. For tape switches, the Modlight won’t give quite full power with a Surefire switch, so Modlight recommends their own switches or Unity’s. Both are difficult to find in stock. I’m using a Surefire switch with my Modlight OKW, and its still absolutely stupid bright. I’ll have to do a little testing to see if theres any difference at all.

The Arisaka/Malkoff Scout lights are lightest, but still durable, and the power is still very respectable even though clearly eclipsed by Modlight and Cloud. Malkoff has two new heads that appear to be designed to compete with Modlight, but I’ve not used them yet, and I haven’t checked to see if Arisaka offers them in their bundle yet. The Arisaka lights use a slightly smaller battery than the other lights mentioned. Don’t forget to buy a mount.

I’m all 16650, 18350, and 18650 from here on.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Consider these:

Cloud Defense OWL
    Modlight PLH with Arisaka mount
    Arisaka/Malkoff

The OWL is the simplest, and heaviest way to put a badass light on your gun with a pressure pad on the top rail. Its also cheapest, if you qualify for their first responder discounts.

The Modlight PLH V2 is nearly indistinguishable from the OWL in lighting characteristics, except for the color. For tape switches, the Modlight won’t give quite full power with a Surefire switch, so Modlight recommends their own switches or Unity’s. Both are difficult to find in stock. I’m using a Surefire switch with my Modlight OKW, and its still absolutely stupid bright. I’ll have to do a little testing to see if theres any difference at all.

The Arisaka/Malkoff Scout lights are lightest, but still durable, and the power is still very respectable even though clearly eclipsed by Modlight and Cloud. Malkoff has two new heads that appear to be designed to compete with Modlight, but I’ve not used them yet, and I haven’t checked to see if Arisaka offers them in their bundle yet. The Arisaka lights use a slightly smaller battery than the other lights mentioned. Don’t forget to buy a mount.

I’m all 16650, 18350, and 18650 from here on.
    He wants a light that costs as much as one 18650 battery....

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    He wants a light that costs as much as one 18650 battery....
    Yeah, discount everything I said. I think I got this thread mixed up with another one.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast