Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have this Colt Canada Commando upper and I have some questions

Feedback Score

I have this Colt Canada Commando upper and I have some questions

I was looking for an 11.5 upper anyway and this came up from a place online. Its an LE trade, the price seemed reasonable and I found it interesting that it was a colt Canada diamaco and you dont seen those every day, so I grabbed one. I figured its Colt, should be GTG, now I have it and its raised some questions and possible concerns. Ive never bought an LE trade upper before but I always figured with LE stuff the whole carried a lot shot little holds true. However in the case of something like this I wouldn't expect it to be issued to a standard everyday officer, I would think that this upper would be for a swat or some other sort of special unit weapon, so I thought there was at least a chance I could get one what could be well used. I have no basis for fact on that statement it just makes sense in my head, so If I am wrong please correct me.

So all that background aside, it does appear that I may have gotten something well used, which is ok, but I just want to make sure everything fine with it and it worth hassling over. Like the biggest thing is the barrel, I have no idea on round count or how this thing was shot so I have no idea the life of the barrel thats left. So at that point I can only make assumptions of the round count from other things and hopefully people here can help me or say yeah that just superficial wear and no big deal. I mean the bore looks ok to me, but its really tough to see as I only have an LED flashlight and it way too bright even on the lowest setting so its tough to really see to bore but it looks fine to me. Its nice and shiny and what edges I can see look good.

The gas rings are well broken in but I tested them and they are fine.

So now the pics

first one is just all the markings, Everything looks fine and legit to me.

7o0hrqz.jpg

what appears to be a fairly large ding where the detent front the dust covers snaps in....normal?

TOsRpXv.jpg

This is the best pic I could get of this, but the firing pin appears to be cratered. I am assuming I need to replace this, but what does this say about the round count on the gun or how it was shot?

IXI5ubI.jpg

So here is another thing that I thought looked off, this is a really good pic of the feed ramps and barrel extension. the ramps on the extension and the feed ramps in the upper dont match up. The barrel isn't misaligned because one side is ok but the other there it that little shelf there like the middle of the receiver is a bit wider than it needs to be. Now I have a 6920 and I have seen other Colt uppers, all US though, this is not how they look. The ramps on the extension and the receiver line up basically perfectly on mine and they ones I have seen before. There is also what looks to be quite a bit of chatter or something on the actual feed ramps, the ones on my 6920 are more or less smooth. Again though dont know if its a big deal or not since I have only seen the few things that I have seen. I am sure a lot of people here have seen a lot more than I have.

TbvePTv.jpg

So I guess the question is this normal? Is this a good upper? does it just need a bit of maintenance and its GTG or is it going to required a lot more effort, more like money, than I may be willing to put into it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The firing pin needs immediate replacement. Check the bolt face for etching too. Continued use of that firing pin will ruin the bolt via flame cutting/etching of the bolt face

All else is normal... including the feedramps.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    The only real info you could get would be with a bore scope (and even a good barrel can look horrible, so don't be scared, if you do) or an erosion gauge. And I've seen barrels that failed the e gauge that still shot fine by mil-spec acceptance standards. If you got it at a fair price, a replacement firing pin is a small thing to have to upgrade.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick sweeney View Post
    The only real info you could get would be with a bore scope (and even a good barrel can look horrible, so don't be scared, if you do) or an erosion gauge. And I've seen barrels that failed the e gauge that still shot fine by mil-spec acceptance standards. If you got it at a fair price, a replacement firing pin is a small thing to have to upgrade.
    I sort of want to scope it just out of curiosity honestly, but I dont have access to one. I dont mind having to replace the firing pin and honestly once I saw it I figured I would have to. also I thought replacing the ejector spring and maybe the extractor spring would be a good thing to do as well considering I have no idea how many rounds are on the ones that it has currently. Though the ejector does still feel pretty tight. Basically the two thing that would make this a bad deal would be if the barrel was bad, or on its last legs or the Bolt/BCG needed to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The firing pin needs immediate replacement. Check the bolt face for etching too. Continued use of that firing pin will ruin the bolt via flame cutting/etching of the bolt face

All else is normal... including the feedramps.
    Thats the bolt, it looks like its raised a bit on one of the pics but its smooth when I run something over it.

kUC7Ufb.jpg

6TRFlac.jpg

Is any of this stuff signs of a super high round count or just normal stuff and there is plenty of life left in this thing?
    Last edited by loki993; 07-06-20 at 15:20.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    oops, nevermind...
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 07-06-20 at 15:17.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
    Is any of this stuff signs of a super high round count or just normal stuff and there is plenty of life left in this thing?
    Could be both. The finish wear on the bottom pic looks like quite a few rounds, but no telling for sure.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    The bolt depends. If the ring we're seeing is pitting, then the bolt is high-mileage. If it is a crust of built-up primer seal, then it is no big deal. Nothing else looks high-mileage to me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mid 2000ish 6933/933 upper.

Don't see anything abnormal except the firing pin.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    I guess 1 last question then....there is a near zero chance this has a cold hammer forged barrel because they cant be brought into the country, am I right about that? Fro what Ive read these get build by Colt Canada but with Colt US barrels because they are destined for the States.
    Last edited by loki993; 07-08-20 at 07:32.

Feedback Score
    I asked a contact, and the reply was "super gray area". Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, short of a destructive test to determine alloy constituents and grain structure, no way of telling. Maybe LE, maybe not. And does it really matter? Scrub it up, put it on a lower, and go have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast