Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .223 Hornady A-tip 90 gr., anybody?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

.223 Hornady A-tip 90 gr., anybody?

So, I was grabbing a jug of H322 for good time's sake, some 220 ELD's and stumbled upon these A-tips. Since we just shot 87gr Barnes, what the hell bells. Maybe they work out, maybe not.

Cost prohibitive but one box for shits and giggles keeps life interesting. Cost near what the 220's cost, WTF.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Now I'm curious. I look forward to hearing how these do. Will you use them in a tight twist bbl? 1x7?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    So, I was grabbing a jug of H322 for good time's sake, some 220 ELD's and stumbled upon these A-tips. Since we just shot 87gr Barnes, what the hell bells. Maybe they work out, maybe not.

Cost prohibitive but one box for shits and giggles keeps life interesting. Cost near what the 220's cost, WTF.

PB
    You running those through an AR?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We will have assembled the most expensive 5.56 ammo possible.

That's all that matters. Seriously though... I'll have to see that they seat mag length correctly. 80 gr SMKs, don't work like that. If they'll seat mag length, we'll shoot some AR with them.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Our other buddy suggested maybe these were made with that Valkyrie round in mind, but we’ll see.

I hope we can get them in my SR15, otherwise we might have to single feed in my bolt.

PB

Feedback Score
    what is the recommended twist on those? at AR velocities i wouldn't be surprised if you needed 1-6.5

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    IMO, that barrel twist story is just part of the story. My reason for saying is my 1/9 bolt gun shoots the 80 gr SMK and those 87 grain Berger’s lights out. But then again they might key hole like a mofo.

Once I got the DOPE on those Berger’s, I went 4/5 at 1000 yards rapid firing. I missed the last one trying to double tap. I digress.

I don’t have anything other than 1/7 twist. Wish I did though.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-07-20 at 12:41.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    what is the recommended twist on those? at AR velocities i wouldn't be surprised if you needed 1-6.5
    Box says 7 twist. I might line them up next to a regular 77 and an 87gr Barnes just for length comparison.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I wonder if hornady subscribes to litz theory about losing Bc when it’s not spun fast enough

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if Hornady subscribes to litz theory about losing Bc when it’s not spun fast enough
    taliv, can you break that theory down, never heard of it.

Much appreciated.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast