Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shimming a Muzzle Device

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    And it's because of the shim they shot loose?
    Because for whatever reason under heat build up due to suppressed firing they degraded, softened, and failed resulting in them coming loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Because for whatever reason under heat build up due to suppressed firing they degraded, softened, and failed resulting in them coming loose.

Maybe you got a bad batch? Did you contact PA about them?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Not sure if this is a dumb question, but if the muzzle device is being pinned and welded, is a shim or washer needed or purely cosmetic? Normally the shim or washer is there to allow torquing to a certain force at the desired rotation, but when you pin and weld the device is not going anywhere regardless of torque.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Not sure if this is a dumb question, but if the muzzle device is being pinned and welded, is a shim or washer needed or purely cosmetic? Normally the shim or washer is there to allow torquing to a certain force at the desired rotation, but when you pin and weld the device is not going anywhere regardless of torque.
    I would think the shim's structural integrity (e.g. not softening) would affect the mount's integrity. If you lose appropriate torque from the mount, I doubt a pin that's only on one side of the mount provides as much stability. I'm all ears, though.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Maybe you got a bad batch? Did you contact PA about them?
    I did not because I didn’t care. I had no interest in using them going forward.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Have you even tried a crush washer ? They are pretty forgiving in my experience ! I just did a P&W myself and I used a VG6 EX brake on a 14.5 build and the crush washer flattened and timed perfect & I had to put some torque on it to get it around for perfect timing with the correct ports on the bottom. It was not excessive either,,it really worked out perfect,brought it to my guy and its permanent now and looks great ! Ya can buy a bunch of crush washers for $25 bucks,considering that's what the "Shim" Kit goes for plus shipping ! Just a thought for ya.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Have you even tried a crush washer ? They are pretty forgiving in my experience ! I just did a P&W myself and I used a VG6 EX brake on a 14.5 build and the crush washer flattened and timed perfect & I had to put some torque on it to get it around for perfect timing with the correct ports on the bottom. It was not excessive either,,it really worked out perfect,brought it to my guy and its permanent now and looks great ! Ya can buy a bunch of crush washers for $25 bucks,considering that's what the "Shim" Kit goes for plus shipping ! Just a thought for ya.
    Crush washers are fine for many non-suppressor mount options. The issue is that they do not always crush evenly, which can lead to baffle strikes when working with suppressors.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Crush washers are fine for many non-suppressor mount options. The issue is that they do not always crush evenly, which can lead to baffle strikes when working with suppressors.
    Ah,,got ya ! Living in a commie state I wouldn't know that,LOL Almost ready to exit,,about 1 more year & I'll be headed out of here. Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    OP..... did you open the flash hider package up? Every Dead Air flash hider and brake I have purchased came with a shim kit. It is sandwiched between the black card stock in the package.
    Yes, indeed. I don't know when they stopped, but Dead Air no longer includes shim kits with flash hiders.

As the to Accu-washers, I was ready to order a set before jp relayed his experiences. It is the only negative review I've encountered, but it still gives me pause. I'll contact the smith to get his take. I appreciate all of the responses so far.
    "I don't just want gun rights... I want individual liberty, a culture of self-reliance....I want the whole bloody thing." - Kim du Toit

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Novak View Post
    Yes, indeed. I don't know when they stopped, but Dead Air no longer includes shim kits with flash hiders.
    Must have just stopped. I got a flash hider last month and it has it. The plastic clam shell packaging is now a glorified plastic bag as well. I was wondering if it was a knock off, but I purchased from AR safe space so not too worried with the packaging not being like the other 5 or so I have.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast