Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shimming a Muzzle Device

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Op, Sent you a PM

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just received two Dead Air flash hiders yesterday from shooting surplus and the 5/8-24 had a shim kit while the 1/2x28 did not. Both were in a plastic dime bag with absolutely zero packaging that would have prevented getting beat on one another during shipping. This is my first Dead Air purchase and I certainly hope the suppressor is packaged with more respect.

Just checked Dead Air's page and this is written under their flash hider link.

"Our flash hider has a unique patent-pending design featuring mass shifted equal length tines. The end result is a flash hider that does not “ping.” It is compatible with the Sandman-L™, Sandman-S™, Sandman-K™, and Key-Mo equipped Nomad-30 suppressors. The flash hider is backed by a lifetime warranty.

**Flash hiders are not supplied with shim kits"
    Last edited by Robisten8; 07-11-20 at 06:40.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Surefire makes a nice shim kit you can buy at Primary Arms, includes rockset.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/surefire...-shim-kit-7.62
    https://www.primaryarms.com/surefire...-shim-kit-5.56

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robisten8 View Post
    Just received two Dead Air flash hiders yesterday from shooting surplus and the 5/8-24 had a shim kit while the 1/2x28 did not. Both were in a plastic dime bag with absolutely zero packaging that would have prevented getting beat on one another during shipping. This is my first Dead Air purchase and I certainly hope the suppressor is packaged with more respect.

Just checked Dead Air's page and this is written under their flash hider link.

"Our flash hider has a unique patent-pending design featuring mass shifted equal length tines. The end result is a flash hider that does not “ping.” It is compatible with the Sandman-L™, Sandman-S™, Sandman-K™, and Key-Mo equipped Nomad-30 suppressors. The flash hider is backed by a lifetime warranty.

**Flash hiders are not supplied with shim kits"
    This is new. Both flash hinders I purchased came with shims. Of course all of the brakes came with them. I like to time them with a ting at 6 o’clock for shooting prone.

Yes, suppressors are packaged very nicely. At least the two I have were.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 07-11-20 at 08:24.

Feedback Score
    What do the SureFire warcomp and other SF muzzle devices do differently where they call for <30 ft/lbs max torque?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99cobra2881 View Post
    What do the SureFire warcomp and other SF muzzle devices do differently where they call for <30 ft/lbs max torque?
    They also provide Rocksett with their muzzle devices.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    Have you asked the person doing the p&w if they have shims? Most professionals would I’m thinking, or at least mine did.

My OCD wouldn’t allow it to be “unindexed”
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    Have you asked the person doing the p&w if they have shims? Most professionals would I’m thinking, or at least mine did.

My OCD wouldn’t allow it to be “unindexed”
    Another possibility, depending on who is doing it, is cutting the rear of the brake (or the barrel) using a lathe to time it without shims.

Feedback Score
    Right SF does include rocksett and I’ll have to find where I saw it at but the possibility of choking the end of the barrel is also discussed with installing the SF Warcomp if it’s torqued over 30 ft/lbs?

Then here the OP torqued his non SF muzzle device to 40. It’s not like the barrel gives a crap as to what’s hanging on it, makes me question if the threads on the warcomp have a slight taper? The warcomp on my gun sure as hell torqued down a degree or two sooner with the rocksett than without.

I thought it was bs at such a low torque number but I still stayed under 30# and used the included rocksett on my warcomp install.

Dang DD CHF 14.5 middy barrel was my BOCO buy and I really did not want to F it up or get vertical stringers out of the barrel if I overtorqued the warcomp.

Just trying to learn, thanks!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    FWIW, I contacted Retro Arms Works and asked if he had a preference among Precision Armament, Surefire, and Dead Air shim kits. He said that all would be fine, but that he prefers Surefire.
    "I don't just want gun rights... I want individual liberty, a culture of self-reliance....I want the whole bloody thing." - Kim du Toit

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I installed their three prong hider on an SBR [Sep/Oct 2019], so no welding needed, but I timed it and used the included shim kit. I'm totally OCD about that kind of stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Must have just stopped. I got a flash hider last month and it has it. The plastic clam shell packaging is now a glorified plastic bag as well. I was wondering if it was a knock off, but I purchased from AR safe space so not too worried with the packaging not being like the other 5 or so I have.
    Im supposed to have a 5.56 hider delivered today, I wonder if it will have a shim kit.

The 308 brakes that came with their cans included shim kits.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast