Thread: Velocity Systems Scarab Cumberbund Options

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Velocity Systems Scarab Cumberbund Options

Alright guys,

I'm looking to setup a plate carrier. I've looked at a lot of options and the Scarab by Velocity Systems seems to be most of what I'm looking for.

I've already decided on my plates (AT Armor, Medium SAPI, Multi Curve) and will be ordering a Scarab within the week, hopefully. My measurements are spot on for Medium SAPI plates, so no crazy guess work there. I have an Esstac Daeodon Triple 5.56 swift clip placard already ordered that I will be running on this PC.

I want a PC that can be kept relatively low profile, but be scaled up/down as needed. I also want something comfortable enough to spend hours in if need be without unnecessary discomfort. The D-ring shoulder pads of the Scarab and reports of comfort are two of the biggest selling points for me. I also like that Velocity Systems seems open to modifying things for customers upon request. (I plan on having them remove the molle from the front panel where the placard rests, and replace it with a large, solid area of loop velcro for a lower profile and a more solid matting surface. I am also going to see if they'll omit the kangaroo pouch to slim the front down. I know they've done this for group buys, but not sure they'll do it per individual request).

Here is the version of the Scarab I have in mind.

https://www.velsyst.com/products/sc8...1-quarter-flap

I like the idea of having an elastic cumberbund to keep the carrier from bouncing around, but I also want to be able to throw the carrier on and off without lifting the placard/front flap. From what I can tell, the SC8 version would give me that option while still allowing me to side mount gear when needed using the quarter flaps. I would use this cumberbund initially.

Ultimately though, I'd like to go with something else for the cumberbund that has elasticity built in, but allows the carrier to be opened from one or both sides without the use of hook and loop velcro. Preferably the cumberbund would have at least three rows of molle built in for mounting extra gear (TQs, Mags, Medical, etc). I know there are folks using the First Spear tubes, and I'd like to go this route if I can find the right cumberbund. I've also read up on the Arbor Arms setup with the single cobra buckle, but I dislike the way it uses three separate elastic straps with no material in between. I feel as if it would snag on stuff, and I'd like to keep that to a minimum.

Are there any other cumberbund options available that would allow First Spear tubes to be used with a Scarab, while keeping three or more molle rows and some elasticity?

I appreciate the help.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Can't help with the cumberbund options. I'll be interested in the recommendations as well.

I can say that I've not really enjoyed my D-rings though. For slow paced stuff they've been fine. But once I start to "Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive and Dodge" they tend to rotate. Once a D-ring rotates one strap is longer than the other. Length difference isn't huge but it is enough to get sloshy and uneven.

The only fix I've come up with was to position the curve of the ring up and sew a line above the straight section to keep the ring positioned correctly.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Can't help with the cumberbund options. I'll be interested in the recommendations as well.

I can say that I've not really enjoyed my D-rings though. For slow paced stuff they've been fine. But once I start to "Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive and Dodge" they tend to rotate. Once a D-ring rotates one strap is longer than the other. Length difference isn't huge but it is enough to get sloshy and uneven.

The only fix I've come up with was to position the curve of the ring up and sew a line above the straight section to keep the ring positioned correctly.
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep that modification in mind in case I need it. I ended up ordering the Scarab so we'll see.

I contacted Velocity Systems and they aren't performing any custom modifications at this time due to sales volume. I was told they'd reconsider around October time frame if things had slowed down (I doubt they will).

So after looking at some different cumberbund options, I think I'm going to go with some kind of "plug and play" kit with First Spear tubes. I know Spiritus Systems has some, but they appear to be OOS everywhere. What I originally wanted doesn't appear to be available, so something like the Spiritus Systems with the First Spear tubes seems to be a good compromise.

These from MOS Tactical seem to be very similar, but I'm not familiar with the company.

https://mostactical.com/products/cry...19554374320195

Does anyone have experience with these cumberbunds? I'm wondering how well they're made and what sizing is appropriate.
    Last edited by Rogue556; 07-12-20 at 13:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In my opinion those are overpriced.

Look at these, https://www.beezcombatsystems.com/Cummerbunds_c49.htm might be one compatible with the Scarab. I'm not too familiar with the Scarab, but I'm using one of theirs with FS tubes on a Banshee and it's outstanding.

Beez quality is top notch.