Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: good ol days of training over?

Feedback Score

good ol days of training over?

been looking for classes, training, even just a group of dudes to practice with. seems like slim pickins these days.

as a offhand way to check and see if it's just my perspective or nobody's actually training anymore, i counted the threads in the MISC training announcements here. I went back to a random year 2010 and compared it to last year 2019, since covid and lack of ammo probably affected a lot of training this year. There were 18 pages of threads in 2010 (pg 86-104) and 4 for 2019 (pg 2-5).

So what gives? is it economic and people just don't have the cash? seems unlikely given the Trump boom last year.
    is it the passing of The Great Ones like Louis and Pat, and the newer trainers can't fill their shoes?
    Are Gen Xers like myself losing interest in our late 40s/early 50s while younger generations are too busy with video games?
    Maybe all the good training went underground and I missed the memo?

I just can't put my finger on it. NICS checks seem to be setting highs almost every year, and gun forums are still popular. why is no one training?
    I mean, there's always been an extraordinarily high ratio of gun owners and talkers to actual shooters, but why has it gotten 4x higher (worse)?
    Is it just a lull? are we going back to having lots of classes in a few years? I'd hope current events would spur some to train, but I get most can't afford ammo this year

edit to add, in my own case, i switched focus to shooting bolt guns and matches for a decade. but now that i'm back, the pistol/carbine world feels empty
    Last edited by taliv; 07-07-20 at 13:50.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The reason you're not finding much in the training forum is probably the same reason why you don't see instructors or SMEs post much on this forum any more: They've moved on to different media to communicate with students, potential students, and fellow instructors/SMEs.

Some of that will be movement to different forums, but some of it is also movement to Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, &c.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    So what gives? is it economic and people just don't have the cash?
    For me, it's a matter of having several classes already. Practice is the majority with maybe some refresher from time to time.

That... and I don't have the time for a 2 day class these days.... let alone something longer.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Covid -19, the see saw economy, Morons blocking highways, difficulties purchasing training ammo, so people aren't going to train when all of that is going on. Simple as that.
    If everything goes our way, you'll have plenty of ammo, opportunity and cash sometime late this year or early next.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I wouldn’t base the state of the training industry on the number of threads in the training forum. Lots of instructors have their own websites and social media now and don’t need to post on forums to market anymore. All the usual suspects are still out there filling classes year round...aside from the shutdown due to Covid obviously.

Aside from that, there’s a number of factors that you touched on that may contribute to less guys training. I can only speak for myself but I put many more rounds down range in my 20’s before having kids than now in my 30’s with kids.

Like Mark said, with my background and training I’ve had, it’s less about going to classes as it is going to the range and maintaining skills.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 07-08-20 at 07:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I wouldn’t base the state of the training industry on the number of threads in the training forum.
    Exactly. I have a carbine class on Saturday, and then I'm taking a Sentinel Concepts class later in October. I think the information is just out there for people more than it used to be. When I picked up my first AR, it seemed like everyone was just watching Magpul's the Art of the carbine, a few years later and they had classes all over from former Ranger Seal Delta Snipers. I giggle at this because I was first taught by an FBI tactical team guy, who was a Ranger at some point and I've been trying to unlearn his bad habits on pistol for the last few years.

I think it has become more standardized, as in most people know the ranges that host, and with social media, you can follow who interests you fairly easily. That said, there is quite a few instructors out there, and it can be a bit overwhelming if you start wading into the training waters.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    thanks! well that makes me feel a lot better, though it sucks having to go to FB for anything. Is there a non-communist forum out there with class announcements? (the arfcom training forum is even more dead than here) or suggestions on where to get plugged back in?

TBH i'd like to do a class or two just to see how they've changed and what new techniques the cool kids are using, but some sort of group study monthly local session would be much preferred

Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    it seemed like everyone was just watching Magpul's the Art of the carbine,
    ha! only for laughs hopefully you didn't bedazzle your jeans jk!!!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I'm signed up a 2-day pistol class this weekend, (2) 1-day classes for both pistol and carbine 2nd weekend in August, a 2-day carbine course at the of end September and a 2-day pistol course in the beginning of October. So no, it ain't over from my perspective.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    some sort of group study monthly local session would be much preferred
    The regional training group forums are pretty dead, but you can try posting there and see if anyone bites. I would like to see them be more active. Where are you located?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    It’s possible to train and do drills without taking a class.

Possibly requires more dedication alone or with a bud or two, like working out.
    But is certainly doable.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast