Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: good ol days of training over?

Feedback Score
    Nothing will beat going to get Chocolate Frosty's with Chris and Travis, the golden age of training...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Tons of classes being offered right here in N. Colorado: Travis Haley, Dave Kleiber, Kyle Defoor, and Sentinel all out here this summer.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Not only have I not seen a decline of classes, I have seen several prominent instructors go outside the box with media, like using zoom or video feedback. It's not 'same as' having them live, right at your hip on a range, but it's really good for a lot of things.

Feedback Score
    https://firearmstraininghub.com

This is a website that attempts to aggregate alot of the more reputable training operations around the country. From every discipline you can think of.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by npena84 View Post
    https://firearmstraininghub.com

This is a website that attempts to aggregate alot of the more reputable training operations around the country. From every discipline you can think of.
    Thanks for this, I didn't know about this site before.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's the nutshell, some already touched on these points.

Not as many threads doesn't mean people aren't training. It means they aren't posting.
    Fewer AARs, time consuming to do good ones, honest and candid ones aren't common. There's no incentive to write them, but plenty of potential butt-hurt.
    Instructors and training companies are using different media platforms, IG, FB, etc.
    Some instructors and study groups have gone dark, doing more closed/private events.
    COVID- host site and training vendor limitations
    COVID- less disposable income
    COVID- less ammo availability
    COVID- even if an event is occurring, traveling may have meant a quarantine on return home
    COVID- even if an event is occurring, some combine tourism with training, and options may be reduced

Several 2020 events I had planned to attend or was coordinating cancelled or weren't viable enough given the above. Almost all are bouncing back. The 2021 schedule will be interesting. Many instructors and companies are revising deposit, cancellation, and host agreement conditions.

There's still a lot of training available out there and much of it is worth attending.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I’d ay that there are way more training opportunities now than 10 years ago. Follow trainers on Instagram and they post when they release their class schedules. Between traveling for work and coaching, time is the biggest limiting factor for me. I try to get in one class a year, but that doesn’t always happen. Last year I fit a 1 day Shrek McPhee carbine course and a 1 day low light/no light defensive pistol course. I even got my wife to got to that pistol course with me. The DMR course at The Site had been on my list for several years. Scheduled for that next month.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm personally not attending any more training because I currently don't benefit from it. Until I put in the effort of more practice and better physical fitness, attending another intermediate class is pretty much pointless for me now. I've attended four intermediate/advanced classes instructed by three nationally recognized instructors and it's become pay $500 (or more)plus another $200 in ammo (or more) to get my blaze on with very little individual attention to my shooting. Those classes were necessary to get my shooting to the level it is at now, but going forward I'm going to have to find something different.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm personally not attending any more training because I currently don't benefit from it. Until I put in the effort of more practice and better physical fitness, attending another intermediate class is pretty much pointless for me now. I've attended four intermediate/advanced classes instructed by three nationally recognized instructors and it's become pay $500 (or more)plus another $200 in ammo (or more) to get my blaze on with very little individual attention to my shooting. Those classes were necessary to get my shooting to the level it is at now, but going forward I'm going to have to find something different.
    Locally a couple gun clubs went in together hired a "nationally recognized instructor" who did a 2-day pistol for 10 guys. It worked out to something like $300/person, but they each got a ton of one-on-one. But yeah, that can be a problem in big classes. I like LAV's and John McPhee's use of zoom and one-on-one video tutorials. Again, not same as being there, but almost as good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I've attended four intermediate/advanced classes instructed by three nationally recognized instructors and it's become pay $500 (or more)plus another $200 in ammo (or more) to get my blaze on with very little individual attention to my shooting. Those classes were necessary to get my shooting to the level it is at now, but going forward I'm going to have to find something different.
    I do agree on the individual attention, I would also add goal set. I can take classes in my home town about 10 minutes from my house by said "nationally recognized instructors" and I have before. The issue is that most of this is set up by the county and local PD and Swat guys, and because I know a few I fill out their rosters for attendees and in return the classes are usually a little cheaper. There is some good training taking place, and I tend to always learn something, however, I am not a cop, and the training is almost always focused in that direction. It can become monotonous, but I honestly feel like I get to learn something every time, and because I'm friends or have a decent relationship, they will point out one or two things that I can improve on if the instructor doesn't say something first.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast