Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NewB Zeroing Question on new AR15

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you're pulling your hair out for nothing. Sight your rifle in for the distance that you will most often shoot and then learn your rifle. The term 50/200 zero is kind of a misnomer. Just because you sight in at 50, doesn't mean that you are going to be zeroed for 200. What your POI will be at 200 based on a 50 yard zero is going to have a lot to do with a bunch of variables, like your actual velocity with your chosen load; the height of your sight over the axis of the bore and even the wind.

I've been spending most of my time shooting an 11.3" AR. 90% of the shooting that I do with that firearm is within 100 yards, so I put a 100 yard zero on it. All I have to do out to 100 yards is account for the height of my sight over the axis of the bore for precise shots and the hold over shrinks the closer I get to 100 yards.

For any realistic urban self defense scenario, practicing sight height over bore accuracy is going to be more important than what your zero is anyway.

Honestly, I'm just getting to know this build and when it cools off a bit (it's hitting triple digits where I am), I'm gonna have to spend a weekend figuring out what the best zero is for me that will require the least amount of thought. I'd like to determine where the trajectory of my bullet stops rising and starts to fall. That can't be too far with an 11.3" barrel. Once I determine that, I'll have to figure out what close quarters distance that translates to and see if that puts me at something that is practical. Of course, I'll use software to get me close and then see how that works in real life.

I've been in a couple of high stress situations involving gun fire and I am no so trained and experienced that I was able to think everything through. For the most part, I just did what I practiced and in those sort of situations, simple is better.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I zero all irons/ non-magnified red dots at 50 yards, all magnified optics at 100.

I would recommend 50 yard for the OPs purposes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm a 50m person and it works well for me. Regarding the visible laser beneath the barrel, when using a BC, make sure you invert the "optic" height to minus (-) whatever. Most calculators accept the negative input and the algorithm deals with it effectively.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234