Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NewB Zeroing Question on new AR15

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a very similar rifle set up to the original and I personally find the 25m works for brain. I absolutely understand why people prefer a 50/200 or a 36 meter zero, but speaking just for me, I think the 25m simplifies my offset up close, and I don't mind being a little high in the 100-200m range because I can aim COM and get a high chest hit, which is generally desirable. I do definitely think the Eotech reticle is a plus for shooting up close because it does offer the high/low references for offsets. I only recently started training at shorter ranges with the carbine and I was shocked at how little I didn't know.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    For me, the 50 yd zero works - POI within 2" of POA to 250 yards and it's easier for me to zero at 50 than 100 with irons or a 1X optic. I don't think there is a wrong answer though.

Andy

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Agreed. 50y/50m FTW.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Let me ask the OP a question. How accurate are you and the rifle with the ammunition you plan to use? If you are an average shooter, shooting an average rifle using average ammunition you will be doing real good to shoot 4-6 inch groups at 100. Site it in at 50 and quit worrying about it.

Feedback Score
    ^This^ Sight zero at 50 yds. and from 20 to 220 you won’t be enough off the line of sight to matter, and you’ll be getting much more benefits trajectory wise.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Zeros are personal to how your brain works. To me, a 50 yard zero is totally retarded and worthless. But my brain (as a nutty reloader) gets the bullet flight path from zero to 100 yards. I understand that some folks don't instinctively get hold over at short distance. NOT everyone thinks the same... that's OK.

So for me... The 100 yard zero is simple and easy.... hold a little high inside of 50 for a precision shot, and hold a little high from 200-300 with a common sense idea of bullet flight path.
    If you are an accurate shot with a precision rifle, shooting small targets, i think a 100yd zero makes the most sense.

For pure defensive stuff, i think a 50 had acceptable high-hits that have no practical effect.

My suggestion would be start with a 50 and decide to change if its not working.

Imo too many newbs get caught up in insignificant details instead of just getting on the range and working through the process. Neither zero is wrong- just pick one and learn it, and what your practical capability and usage is.

Feedback Score
    I look at it like a hunting rifle. You determine the diameter of the vital zone in inches, then sight in so the bullet never rises more than half that vital zone diameter. So out to maximum range you can just aim center of vital area, and not nit-pick what distance the target is at. You also have to consider maximum effective range of the cartridge as far as energy goes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's called maximum point blank range. My 7mm Rem Mag is 325 yrds. So to 325 it never rises or goes below 4". 8" kill zone on deer, elk, or large pig.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    It's called maximum point blank range. My 7mm Rem Mag is 325 yrds. So to 325 it never rises or goes below 4". 8" kill zone on deer, elk, or large pig.
    I didn’t want to confuse anyone with the term “point blank”. More or less with a 5” circle shooting .223 69 grain you’d be good out to 250 yards sighted about 1” high at 200 and just over 2” high at 100.
    Last edited by Colt Carson; 07-15-20 at 22:26. Reason: Add info

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
    I didn’t want to confuse anyone with the term “point blank”. More or less with a 5” circle shooting .223 69 grain you’d be good out to 250 yards sighted about 1” high at 200 and just over 2” high at 100.
    I understand. I've never really used that term and method of zero outside of hunting. It just doesn't seem to fit the defensive use of the AR in my mind.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast