Thread: New Production Win M70 Supergrade?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

New Production Win M70 Supergrade?

Does anyone have any experience with the new production Winchester Model 70 Supergrades? I'm looking to add one to my collection, but I haven't been able to get my hands on one so I was curious if anyone here and handled/shot one before I go thru the trouble of getting my dealing to order one.

I'll admit I mostly want one for the history and I love the look of of a blue steel and walnut bolt gun. I don't need it to be exceptionally accurate--I'm in the market for a 30-06 that needs minute of deer accuracy out to a maximum of 300 yards.

Thanks!
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    No experience with the Model 70 but if they’re made by Miroku like their lever actions and single shots are you’d be happy with it. I love blued steel and walnut too and I have a Winchester/Miroku 1873, 1892, and two 1885’s and they are definitely a cut above the other reproductions.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdWatcher View Post
    No experience with the Model 70 but if they’re made by Miroku like their lever actions and single shots are you’d be happy with it. I love blued steel and walnut too and I have a Winchester/Miroku 1873, 1892, and two 1885’s and they are definitely a cut above the other reproductions.
    Winchester model 70s are (or were, last I looked) assembled in FN's plant in Portugal.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Then they’re probably pretty well made.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the gouge. I've got a couple of "gentleman's" (sit in a stand in good weather) hunts planned this fall, so I figured those would be a good option to give a pretty gun some honest work.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    yes, but for the money they are asking...you could buy an original pre 64 model 70 in 30-06. 06 and 270 were the 2 most common chamberings in the pre 64 and they tend to bring less money. I think the metal work on the new ones is just as good, if not better but the wood/checkering is not quite up to what the old ones had. I hunted with a 1959 vintage model 70 in 338 Win Mag for ages in Montana. My son still has the 270 I bought him.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Current times have made these painfully hard to find--I've been searching for a few weeks for a walnut supergrade 30-06--I thought that would be the most common chambering out there, but I guess I'm not the only one who wants one.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    In general, bolt guns seem to have escaped the current frenzy (with a few exceptions, probably).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is long overdue but I bought the M70 Supergrade in 30-06 last year and I love it. It's very much a traditional bolt gun and has some of the quirks associated with that--there's a noticeable POI shift when the gun gets hot, but it's not made to be a high volume shooter. Mine is about a 2 MOA gun with factory Winchester hunting loads--that's more than good enough for deer and hogs at the ranges I hunt at. I could mess around with different ammo and I'm sure it would probably be closer to 1 MOA if I cared, but I basically hunt at 250 yards and in I bulk ordered ammo awhile back.

The action is super slick and the trigger is exceptional. It's a fairly heavy rifle, especially with a sling and a scope, but I personally like that because I have taken some odd angle shots on hogs out of a tree stand I'd probably have earned a few scope imprints on my nose with an an ultra light. For awhile super light hunting rifles were a trend, but if you're used to a milspec M4 it's about the same weight. For a traditional hunting rifle, it's all I could want, and I genuinely enjoy carrying it in the field, so I'm very happy with the purchase.
    OEF / OIR / OFS