Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UGH, another help with primers question

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestion but SW is geographically undesirable as they are per website limiting you to only 1k primers per purchase right now

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMTJAGER View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion but SW is geographically undesirable...
    Yeah, their website has said that since March, but my local SW has no limits on anything.

I walked out with 11,000 primers the other day (they had CCI SPPs and LPPs on sale for $24/1,000).

Feedback Score
    ... and wait six months.

The current gun-buying panic isn't going to last that long (they never do), and soon all the guys who have been stocking up on components to kill time reloading while they're locked down with COVID will be back to work or whatever they were doing before March.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Well, that does suck for you... I bought 20,000 after the last panic (2008-09).

And I don't know where you're located (you should fill in your profile), but I'm pretty sure that my local Sportman's Whorehouse had them in stock the last time I was in there...
    Only very rarely do I ever see 41's locally here and when I do it is never in any quantity. Which is why I usually buy them online and in the bulk boxes. Just checked - Even Midway and Brownells are both OOS on the 41's with no backorder available. Sportsman's Warehouse online shows zero 41's or regular 400's in stock currently for my store.

With the recent run on ammo and components a guy would be lucky to see regular cci 400's sitting on a shelf at any retailer here.

If 400's were all I could find - I would buy and use them without hesitation as I have done in the past. Plenty of others have used them in AR pattern rifles as well for years and reported zero issues with slam fires.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Given that there are CCI #41 primers out there, and readily available these days, I don't understand why anybody would use anything else when loading for a semi-auto...

Why risk a slam fire? (Yes, they do happen.)

It's enough for me to see the dimple on the back of the primer of an unfired round after I eject it...
    Because accurate ammo is priority, and Slam fires in ARs are not an issue. We run WOLF almost exclusively which had a magnum cup. But I've shot almost everything else with no issue.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Well don't think I will have any more primer issues reloading for my AR's. Stopped in my local Cabela's today on the way home from work and they were literally setting out bricks of CCI 450 small rifle primers with no limit so I bought 10k.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have loaded and fired a bit (a few thousand?) of 5.56/.223 for use an ARs using CCI 400 primers. I have not had an issue with slam fires or ruptured/punctured primers, but the primers showed signs of maximum pressures with multiple mild loads. The mil-spec primers looked perfectly normal using the same loads in the same gun at the same temperatures.

Andy
    I have been reloading. 223 all spring and testing loads thinking I had my loads too hot. Now I read the CCI 400 primers have a thin cup and flatten easier giving the impression the loads are too hot. Where was this thread in April ? I guess it's better late than never.

kwg

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
    Where was this thread in April ? I guess it's better late than never.
    400s are a Non-Issue. There's not much to gain from this thread other than the idea that bad info can get perpetuated.

If I'm loading 5.56 pressure ammo, I pull factory ammo (LC) with crimped primers anyway. 450s are just usually overpriced. The only REAL problem I see on occasion is not related to cup thickness, but the fact that the primers will pop out in certain chambers with reloads that have less than tight primer pockets.

That's a pain because you often get a stoppage and have to find the cup and anvil so the fire control group isn't jammed up.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Because accurate ammo is priority, and Slam fires in ARs are not an issue. We run WOLF almost exclusively which had a magnum cup. But I've shot almost everything else with no issue.
    Glad to hear the Wolf’s are good to go in an AR. I scored 11k small rifle and 2k large rifle recently for $29 per thousand.
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 07-15-20 at 21:47.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234