Thread: First Build - 14.5" BCM Mk2 ELW

Feedback Score

First Build - 14.5" BCM Mk2 ELW

Last year things got crazy and I had to sell my Ruger SR556 to pay rent. It was a heavy, though accurate (sub moa) pig of an AR. Well, now I'm in a better place and can afford another AR, and decided to go ahead and get that done now before the next election.

I decided to buy a complete upper and build my lower. I did tons of research and out of everything that was available the BCM 16" ELW MCMR upper was my first choice. I go to check out and someone had purchased it from under me. Boo! My second choice, the 14.5" version, was still available so I went ahead and bought it and had BCM attach their mod 1 compensator to it as well. I'll probably order a BCM bcg next week if they are still available. $180 for a bcg though ouch...

I also got an email from Aero Precision the other day that they had released a new "Liberty" lower for July 4th 2020 so i went ahead and ordered that too. Hopefully have it next week.
    https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e...anodized-black

I'm having trouble deciding what to do for the rest. It's my HD/SHTF rifle so I want to keep it light, strong and reliable. Is there a good lower parts kit available anywhere at all? Should an "H" weight buffer work? Any heavy pull 2 stage duty triggers? I'm not interested in competition shooting, but I really like the feel of a 2 stage. Otherwise I am used to the trigger on an issue A2 (USMC) and as long as it's smooth it's fine.

I am thinking basic Magpul MOE for stock and grip, and the noveske short throw safety looks like a perfect fit for the Aero lower.

Any suggestions on how to build out the rest of my rifle would be appreciated. I'm not new to shooting but am new to the lego world of the "modern sporting rifle".

I have pics but not sure how to attach? Or do they need to be hosted 3rd party?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Oh the tapatalk app let's me add pics but they keep failing. So here are imgur links.

BCM 14.5" BHF ELW MCMR Upper https://imgur.com/gallery/BSXGcBo

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Superhero; 07-08-20 at 21:26.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Why a “heavy” 2 stage trigger? I get the desire for 2 stage. Geissele makes several duty 2 stage triggers and are generally considered the standard.

Also, is that upper completely coated in oil?

An H buffer will work fine. Many change their buffers later but get it shooting first before tinkering.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Larue MBT 2-stage comes with a heavier hammer spring that will take it up around 4.5-5 pounds. Very sweet trigger. I've never had issues with Aero lower parts kits. If I was building a complete lower I would go ahead and get an A5 system. I would also suggest Sprinco buffer spring, and PWS ratcheting castle nut.
    Last edited by sbrown3; 07-09-20 at 09:25.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Also, is that upper completely coated in oil?
    That's how BCM ships them. It's their sweet smelling preservative.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    That's how BCM ships them. It's their sweet smelling preservative.
    G96, I think.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhero View Post

I decided to buy a complete upper and build my lower. I did tons of research and out of everything that was available the BCM 16" ELW MCMR upper was my first choice. I go to check out and someone had purchased it from under me. Boo!
    Sorry that might have been me. The 16” ELW shipped 6/18. It’s great.

I would also recommend the A5. My issue is that the actual A5 buffers are impossible to find in stock. For the ELW I had a spare A5H2. My other carbine and mid length runs A5H3 with springco green. No issues with PMC Bronze which is cheap as I’ll go for plinking ammo. Both the A5H2 and A5H3 work for me.

I did run a that other mid length with an H buffer for awhile, and no issues. For LPKs I go with BCM. I’m too cheap for fancy triggers. Dunno if those are in stock.