Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on night vision

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)

Seeking advice on night vision

I am looking to get into night vision and am trying to figure out a budget and a gradual sort of plan, to space out my spending over a year or two. Please let me know if any of the following assumptions are wrong.

1. It does not make sense to get anything below Gen 3, or I will be sorry and will want to upgrade

2. It does not make sense to go with a pvs7 type setup, as it is outdated

3. I can get a pvs 14 monocular, run it solo, and then later buy a bridge and a second pvs 14 and have binos. This is how I am thinking of doing it?

Budget wise, I am looking at spending about 2500 on the first pvs-14, like this one (https://tnvc.com/shop/ngi-pvs-14-xls...lbit-usa-tube/) or maybe a bit less if I can find used from a reputable seller. And probably just using a harness or a bump helmet to start with.

Next purchase would be a laser like the steiner dbal. Then the bridge and second pvs14.

Solid plan or am I missing some important information?

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocaster View Post
    Next purchase would be a laser like the steiner dbal.
    I'd go with a B.E. Meyers MAWL-C1+.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Pvs14 and a good bump helmet to start is a yes. Team wendy with 4D pads will probably be the most comfortable. JRH enterprises is solid in the industry. TNVC is fine but you’re going to pay extra just because they are the biggest name in the game (and their ego reflects this but I digress)

Bridging 14s is lame so don’t bother. If you were running a thermal then go for it. If you can swing it just get Binos. RNVGs or BNVDs. WP is nice. L3 Filmless tubes are generally regarded as the ultimate performance wise. But bridging is dumb once you add up the costs, bulk, weight etc anyone in the industry saying otherwise is a shill.

The mawl is absolutely overpriced for what it is and it just keeps getting more expensive, especially when full power PEQs exist. A second hand Dbal A3 wouldn’t be bad just to get your feet wet imo.

Seriously though call JRH and talk their ear off. They’re super receptive to new folks getting into NV.

No I’m not affiliated with them they just have a well earned reputation.

Also cough..... NV sub forum... cough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 07-09-20 at 00:24.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I'd go with a B.E. Meyers MAWL-C1+.
    I wouldn’t.

The only pro there is the ergonomics.

Cons:
    It costs as much as a PVS-14 (and it’s getting more expensive)
    Wait times for the unit are *RETARDED*
    The illuminator is actually *too good*. The laser dot gets washed out if you’re looking in thick brush.

I’ve posted this on Arfcom and all the little bitches who spend their time debating FOM values instead of actually shooting got miffed (note that almost none of them actually own a MAWL) but fax be fax.

A civilian powered DBAL I2 is an incredible value.

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Ok, appreciate the advice here. To be clear, there's no NV subforum here, correct? I haven't found it, and I am a long time lurker.

I haven't researched lasers yet, at all. MAWL price is ZOMG. I'd have to do a lot of research to see if its justified for my purposes. I'm not doing long range shooting, and all my training and shooting is focused on self defense distances, or maybe 100-200 yards at the extreme.

I think the new plan is to get a single pvs14 followed by a laser. Then continue saving for a bino set up. The bridge idea is still enticing for the ability to separate or pair with a thermal. Has anyone here tried that? I mean pairing a pvs 14 with a Breach type monocular? Do you use both at the same time and the images get combined by your brain? Or what?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Ok, appreciate the advice here. To be clear, there's no NV subforum here, correct? I haven't found it, and I am a long time lurker.

I haven't researched lasers yet, at all. MAWL price is ZOMG. I'd have to do a lot of research to see if its justified for my purposes. I'm not doing long range shooting, and all my training and shooting is focused on self defense distances, or maybe 100-200 yards at the extreme.

I think the new plan is to get a single pvs14 followed by a laser. Then continue saving for a bino set up. The bridge idea is still enticing for the ability to separate or pair with a thermal. Has anyone here tried that? I mean pairing a pvs 14 with a Breach type monocular? Do you use both at the same time and the images get combined by your brain? Or what?

No no sub forum. That was just a quip on my part because we’ve pushed for one for a long time.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Thing to remember too though is generally you’re engagement distance is limited to your ability to PID at range so figure your zero distance in even the best of conditions. Will a civ dbal be sufficient? Eh. The difference between full power and civ powered units is brutal the first time you see it, even more so in mixed lighting conditions where the civ stuff just can’t penetrate. But first time buyer? Look at picking up a used A3. If one could get full power MAWLs then different story.

Lots of folks bridging thermals but I can’t speak to its efficacy. No experience with it. But as far as I know you use them independently. The brain can’t process both images or atleast it’s very rare that someone can I guess.

Call JRH.

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Will call JRH, thank you.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Will call JRH, thank you.

Also don’t get all wrapped up in FOM numbers when looking at tubes. A cleaner tube with less artifacts is the FOV is better than a higher FOM tube with defects.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Also cough..... NV sub forum... cough
    Thinking the same thing.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast