Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on night vision

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocaster View Post
    Maybe I am too old....(40). I urban dictionaried bae, and I dont understand what you mean here

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Significant other > babe> bae

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If you want to get in the game nothing at all ever wrong with a PVS14 and its always a must have for me. You can do anything with a 14 that can be done with binos and in some cases even more especially if you dont train and shoot a fair amount with the binos. Next would be the laser and I would go out of my way to get the MAWL but then again I already own more than one of the so called POS over priced MAWLs. Why? because they are worth it and they stand far superior in IR illumination. Honestly if you want to do this night vision thing the time is now, I dont think you can afford to wait. I would sell off whatever to get the ability to see and fight in the dark. Yes its nigh vision in a way but remember with no power a lot of things and places get dark while the sun is up. Everyone is always talking about cant PID and dont need to be able to shoot that far in support of their pathetic laser performance but how about up close and in structures when they are not illuminated?

The use of NVGs and the gear is skill set just like running the carbine and just because you bought one doesn't make you a gun fighter. There is a lot to consider when configuring your rifle and blaster for night vision and low light use while not sacrificing the ability to use during the day. There has been some solid wisdom given here so far and some not honestly. While there is good enough in the NV arena nothing is cheap!

Nothing wrong at all with the idea of bridging two 14's especially if the other isn't being used but getting the IR Laser/Illuminator is a must before the second 14. For most users having dual tubes or bridging really doesn't offer that much more and as I have hinted comes with some challenges that need to be trained and understood. I own two 14s and have the ability to bridge if needed as well as a pair of binos so I have made the spend and can tell you no matter what I will always own and never be without a PVS14 and never feel that I am out of the fight or cant do work in the dark.

Feedback Score
    Following this as your scenario sounds similar to mine

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have been doing a lot of research on this subject. I think I have settled on what Euro runs. A single PVS-14 tube with a Crye nightcap. I may upgrade to a TW bump helmet but don’t see myself getting a ballistic helmet. I have read from many of the BTDT guys that having one eye available for natural night vision is a plus. YMMV, but this is what I will be going with. I am looking to get a WP filmless tube.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    The info on here is why I've been on this site daily for the last 8-9 years

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I have been doing a lot of research on this subject. I think I have settled on what Euro runs. A single PVS-14 tube with a Crye nightcap. I may upgrade to a TW bump helmet but don’t see myself getting a ballistic helmet. I have read from many of the BTDT guys that having one eye available for natural night vision is a plus. YMMV, but this is what I will be going with. I am looking to get a WP filmless tube.
    I would suggest going straight to the Wendy Bump over just the Nightcap. The Night cap has its place for sure but the Wendy Bump will win with comfort and the ability to offer more support and stability. You will need to buy a shroud for the Nightcap and that is already included with the Wendy Bump. The Bump will also give you the ability to mount additional accessories as well a bit easier like helmet lights and ect. The TW Bump is extremely comfortable and a pretty good value.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Seriously though call JRH and talk their ear off. They’re super receptive to new folks getting into NV.

No I’m not affiliated with them they just have a well earned reputation.
    Thanks for the pointer to JRH! I finally got my shit together, took the plunge, and called Robert. He was super helpful, no BS, and got me set up with the basics.

I went with a Photonis 4G Echo white phosphor PVS14 and a DBAL-A3. I'm excited to have the capability, and honestly, I should have done it a long time ago...

I've been looking at helmets, but I think I'm gonna just start with a Night Cap and go from there. I might end up with a bump helmet eventually, but it won't be from Team Hillary.
    Last edited by kerplode; 09-03-20 at 11:13.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Thanks for the pointer to JRH! I finally got my shit together, took the plunge, and called Robert. He was super helpful, no BS, and got me set up with the basics.

I went with a Photonis 4G Echo white phosphor PVS14 and a DBAL-A3. I'm excited to have the capability, and honestly, I should have done it a long time ago...

I've been looking at helmets, but I think I'm gonna just start with a Night Cap and go from there. I might end up with a bump helmet eventually, but it won't be from Team Hillary.
    #winning. Good stuff dude.

The TW stuff is over blown though. Who knew contractors make pitches to politicians to get contracts. Just the way the game is unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Depends. Military SOPs used to do it that way so that you can more easily transition to your day optic and white light. Also something, something eye adjusting to light. However, I would suggest the opposite and use your dominate eye. That way you can aim passively through your day optic more easily.
    Please clarify. Are you saying that you shoot passive by aiming with the reflex sight in front of the PVS14? I am guessing with a NV mode on?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Sounds like your on the right track. I too used JRH and have pleased with the product and service. Robert is a straight to the point no BS type.

Also, I have to agree about TW. At first I was adamant I wound not buy from them. But then I looked into more details and I also think it’s overblown. I ended up with one of the TW helmets and love it.

I have a DBAL A3 too and it’s fine for what it is, but running it in varying conditions and scenarios, it not great. Ergos suck and so too does the illuminator especially in high light conditions. I’ve come up with some work arounds but do I wish I would have gotten the D2. Don’t care how ugly it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    #winning. Good stuff dude.

The TW stuff is over blown though. Who knew contractors make pitches to politicians to get contracts. Just the way the game is unfortunately.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast