Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on night vision

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Do you find there’s some parallax error when shooting your red dot with your Dominant eye while looking through your 14 with your NON Dominant eye?

And since I’ve seen your setup with the agog and piggyback RMR, are you turning the RMR to NV setting or keeping it at daylight settings? Having two optics seems like an optimal solution if you wanted to aim passively (on a NV setting with a RD for example) while having your daytime optic ready for a high light transition under nods scenario. No?

I have been doing this for some time now. I don't see any issue. It is just lime shooting in the day time for me.

As for the set up, keep the RMR on my 12.5 so thatbi can see it with my non nvg dominant eye. I never use the ACOG at night. Just the RMR.

I also do this with my 10.5 with an EXPS3-0.

The haveing 2 optics(1 daytime and 1 NV) is not what I am saying. I have the same reflex sight setup for day and night. And just add NV to my non dominant eye.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m certainly open to being wrong.

I should probably point out that my left eye has been goofy my whole life. Its not to be trusted with a mono.
    I am not saying right or wrong. Just how i have been doing it for many years and how I have always taught it.

Well, if your left eye is all weird then i am not sure what to say. Can you see with NV at all with it? Does it take corrective lenses?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I am not saying right or wrong. Just how i have been doing it for many years and how I have always taught it.

Well, if your left eye is all weird then i am not sure what to say. Can you see with NV at all with it? Does it take corrective lenses?
    I can. Its just that my right eye is extremely dominant, and can’t be blinked by itself, due to some nerve issue. So its always trying to take over. I can do whatever with binos, navigate with left eye monos, etc. I can even shoot passively with a left eye mono, its just... not quite right.

Where the wheels really fall off is if I try to shoot lefty with irons on an M4.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Thanks for the pointer to JRH! I finally got my shit together, took the plunge, and called Robert. He was super helpful, no BS, and got me set up with the basics.

I went with a Photonis 4G Echo white phosphor PVS14 and a DBAL-A3. I'm excited to have the capability, and honestly, I should have done it a long time ago...

I've been looking at helmets, but I think I'm gonna just start with a Night Cap and go from there. I might end up with a bump helmet eventually, but it won't be from Team Hillary.
    Sounds exactly like my set up except I have a TW bump helmet that I love. Robert from JRH helped my figure out what I needed.
    Lurked since 2009.

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”
    Patrick Henry

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Molṑn Labé

SEMPER PARATUS Certified AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Man this stuff is so foreign to me. I wish it was as easy as "buy a BCM and a T2."

I checked out JRH's site and still don't seem to know more.

Is there any kind of good standard mono that can be used freehand and weapon-mounted behind a T2 with like a Surefire Vampire or something?

Or is that stupid and using a helmet pretty much the normal way to do it?

My only experience with NV is hog hunting with borrowed gear. Some kind of NV scope/laser/illuminator that I just used without knowing anything about it.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    You 100% want to wear night vision on your head. Its primary role is to allow you to see.

Putting a PVS-14 behind a red dot is like wearing cleats to play hockey. All ****ed up.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Robert from JRH is good people.

So is Sam at TNVC FYI.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    That’s the one I have inbound...It shipped this morning, so I’ll get hands on next week.

The more I think about the TW situation, I think y’all are right about it being overblown. I’ll give ‘em a look.
    Did you ever receive this and have a chance to test it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MC_Oper8or View Post
    Did you ever receive this and have a chance to test it?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I received the PVS-14 right on schedule! The DBAL and Norotos mounts came a couple weeks later, and I got my Team Wendy LTP a couple days ago.

I honestly haven't had a chance to test any of it yet, though. There are too many lights around my house at night to really tell anything, and I've been super busy with all sorts of shit and haven't had a chance to drive out away from the city to give it a go.

I'm going to get that situation corrected as soon as possible, though, and I'll let y'all know.

RE the Team Wendy helmet: It's REALLY nice...I'm glad I gave it a chance!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post

It really kind of depends on how your eyes are. I wear prescription sunglasses. When I wear NODS I just use the focal adjustments and can see fine.

You CAN wear glasses with NODS if you need to. Couple things that will help-

1. On a 14, remove the rubber eye cup- squeeze and pull off.
    2. Run the 14 out as far as practical on a helmet mount so you have some airflow.
    3. Find a slim set of glasses/eye pro as possible.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast