Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on night vision

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    29 (87%)

Seeking advice on night vision

I am looking to get into night vision and am trying to figure out a budget and a gradual sort of plan, to space out my spending over a year or two. Please let me know if any of the following assumptions are wrong.

1. It does not make sense to get anything below Gen 3, or I will be sorry and will want to upgrade

2. It does not make sense to go with a pvs7 type setup, as it is outdated

3. I can get a pvs 14 monocular, run it solo, and then later buy a bridge and a second pvs 14 and have binos. This is how I am thinking of doing it?

Budget wise, I am looking at spending about 2500 on the first pvs-14, like this one (https://tnvc.com/shop/ngi-pvs-14-xls...lbit-usa-tube/) or maybe a bit less if I can find used from a reputable seller. And probably just using a harness or a bump helmet to start with.

Next purchase would be a laser like the steiner dbal. Then the bridge and second pvs14.

Solid plan or am I missing some important information?

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocaster View Post
    Next purchase would be a laser like the steiner dbal.
    I'd go with a B.E. Meyers MAWL-C1+.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Seeking advice on night vision

Pvs14 and a good bump helmet to start is a yes. Team wendy with 4D pads will probably be the most comfortable. JRH enterprises is solid in the industry. TNVC is fine but you’re going to pay extra just because they are the biggest name in the game (and their ego reflects this but I digress)

Bridging 14s is lame so don’t bother. If you were running a thermal then go for it. If you can swing it just get Binos. RNVGs or BNVDs. WP is nice. L3 Filmless tubes are generally regarded as the ultimate performance wise. But bridging is dumb once you add up the costs, bulk, weight etc anyone in the industry saying otherwise is a shill.

The mawl is absolutely overpriced for what it is and it just keeps getting more expensive, especially when full power PEQs exist. A second hand Dbal A3 wouldn’t be bad just to get your feet wet imo.

Seriously though call JRH and talk their ear off. They’re super receptive to new folks getting into NV.

No I’m not affiliated with them they just have a well earned reputation.

Also cough..... NV sub forum... cough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 07-09-20 at 00:24.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Also cough..... NV sub forum... cough
    Thinking the same thing.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    TNVC is pretty high. I got a thin film white phosphor Elbit for about 30% less, with better specs than what someone was saying their TNVC unit had. I've seen two or three places listing them for about what I got mine for.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    TNVC is pretty high. I got a thin film white phosphor Elbit for about 30% less, with better specs than what someone was saying their TNVC unit had. I've seen two or three places listing them for about what I got mine for.
    TNVC is meme.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    TNVC is meme.

Yea I always just assumed that they were selling super high spec units in the 2500+ FOM range. But I was surprised to find out that wasn't the case apparently.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Seriously though call JRH and talk their ear off. They’re super receptive to new folks getting into NV.

No I’m not affiliated with them they just have a well earned reputation.
    Thanks for the pointer to JRH! I finally got my shit together, took the plunge, and called Robert. He was super helpful, no BS, and got me set up with the basics.

I went with a Photonis 4G Echo white phosphor PVS14 and a DBAL-A3. I'm excited to have the capability, and honestly, I should have done it a long time ago...

I've been looking at helmets, but I think I'm gonna just start with a Night Cap and go from there. I might end up with a bump helmet eventually, but it won't be from Team Hillary.
    Last edited by kerplode; 09-03-20 at 11:13.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Thanks for the pointer to JRH! I finally got my shit together, took the plunge, and called Robert. He was super helpful, no BS, and got me set up with the basics.

I went with a Photonis 4G Echo white phosphor PVS14 and a DBAL-A3. I'm excited to have the capability, and honestly, I should have done it a long time ago...

I've been looking at helmets, but I think I'm gonna just start with a Night Cap and go from there. I might end up with a bump helmet eventually, but it won't be from Team Hillary.
    #winning. Good stuff dude.

The TW stuff is over blown though. Who knew contractors make pitches to politicians to get contracts. Just the way the game is unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Sounds like your on the right track. I too used JRH and have pleased with the product and service. Robert is a straight to the point no BS type.

Also, I have to agree about TW. At first I was adamant I wound not buy from them. But then I looked into more details and I also think it’s overblown. I ended up with one of the TW helmets and love it.

I have a DBAL A3 too and it’s fine for what it is, but running it in varying conditions and scenarios, it not great. Ergos suck and so too does the illuminator especially in high light conditions. I’ve come up with some work arounds but do I wish I would have gotten the D2. Don’t care how ugly it is.

#winning. Good stuff dude.

The TW stuff is over blown though. Who knew contractors make pitches to politicians to get contracts. Just the way the game is unfortunately.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast