Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on night vision

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Hopefully the OP doesn't mind me asking a question for the guys here...what would you rather have:

1) Filmless WHITE Phosphor PVS-14

OR

2) Thin Film GREEN Phosphor BNVD

While I would love to have Filmless WP BNVD's, I'm not sure I can swing $10k...and the Thin Film GP BNVD's from JRH is only ~50% more than the Filmless WP PVS-14 and seems like a decent compromise to get into binos. Are binos worth the tradeoff vs having the best tube money can buy in a single tube?
    Binos are definitely cool, but they do have at least a few drawbacks.

You lose 100% of your unaided natural Nightvision with Binos whereas with a monocular you retain 50%. I can store my PVS14 and Crye nightcap in a cargo pocket (over the last few years I’ve liked traveling lighter - I’m never going to be wearing a plate carrier and a helmet but it’s entirely possible I’ll need to bring NV with me somewhere and not look out of place) You will almost always need a helmet and a counterweight for Binos.

On the flip side - Binos are super cool and having depth perception is pretty nice for walking around a bunch.

It all depends on your uses.

Also lol @ the guy who said to get digital.

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Delete
    Last edited by Nocaster; 07-10-20 at 07:26.

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Binos are definitely cool, but they do have at least a few drawbacks.

You lose 100% of your unaided natural Nightvision with Binos whereas with a monocular you retain 50%. I can store my PVS14 and Crye nightcap in a cargo pocket (over the last few years I’ve liked traveling lighter - I’m never going to be wearing a plate carrier and a helmet but it’s entirely possible I’ll need to bring NV with me somewhere and not look out of place) You will almost always need a helmet and a counterweight for Binos.

On the flip side - Binos are super cool and having depth perception is pretty nice for walking around a bunch.

It all depends on your uses.

Also lol @ the guy who said to get digital.
    This makes a lot of sense to me. Another use would be camping with the family, being able to see at night, if needed.

I think I would like to have a setup like this, and then also a full bino setup. For the nightcap setup, the PVS goes over the non dominant eye, correct?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    To the OP

1 right
    2 right
    3 nope

Go get a decent set of 14s. One of two things will happen over the next year or two:

1 you will be like most people and put 3-4 hours on them. Show them off to your friends. Then put them in the safe and eventually sell them cause you never use them.

2 you are a shooter and will get addicted. You’ll shoot with them as often as you can and want others to go with you but that sucks when only one guy can see and everyone else is just hearing dings and holding their jimmy. So you’ll sell your bass boat or some other loser gear and buy the dual tube setup you really want. But you’ll still need the 14s for your buddy to borrow so you can both see to shoot. And you’ll justify it cause your wife will need to see too if you have to bug out lol

Of course these assume civilization doesn’t totally break down in nov.
    This sounds spot on, sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    What is your intended use?
    I want to be able to move around at night instead of daylight in the event of societal breakdown. Also, where I live (Oregon) there's a remote possibility of a major earthquake (Cascadia Subduction Zone) wiping out infrastructure for like 6 months. Being able to shoot while moving around at night would be great, too.

Last edited by Nocaster; 07-10-20 at 07:26.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocaster View Post
    the PVS goes over the non dominant eye, correct?

Depends. Military SOPs used to do it that way so that you can more easily transition to your day optic and white light. Also something, something eye adjusting to light. However, I would suggest the opposite and use your dominate eye. That way you can aim passively through your day optic more easily.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Depends. Military SOPs used to do it that way so that you can more easily transition to your day optic and white light. Also something, something eye adjusting to light. However, I would suggest the opposite and use your dominate eye. That way you can aim passively through your day optic more easily.
    Passive is bae

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    There's great info here!

I used to completely discount NV, but I recently got to play with a PVS14 and an ENVG-III and now I'm totally on board.

Regarding digital, I also played with a Sionyx, and it's a total joke compared with the image intensifier devices.

I don't have $60K lying around for an ENVG, but I planning on a PVS-14 and a laser in the near term.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Digital will be the future but it’s still a long ways off.

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Passive is bae

Maybe I am too old....(40). I urban dictionaried bae, and I dont understand what you mean here

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I have never used night vision. All the Vietnam era guys say the enemy comes at night. Now we have great NV in the military and we own the night. So unless you are intending to fight a modern military at night, at 200 yards, why are you spending 2-3K for a NV set up? That is, if you are truly doing home defense, does your property extend 200 yards or more? And if you are not intending to fight a modern military at night, well then you are probably only going to encounter non-night vision bad guys or maybe Antifa types. Any night vision under those circumstances will make you king. Another thing, I can't even see 200 yards in the daylight because of the forest--not even half that. Fifty yards for NV would be great. Then there is the question of identification. You just can't shoot the wrong guy. Why wouldn't 50 yards at 1X, even with gen 0 or gen 1 or digital than 200 yards with gen 3 at 4X? What power are you intending to use?

You other NV guys, please tell me where I have gone off the rails here.
    It's a whole 'nother level. You don't know what you don't know.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast