Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on night vision

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    That's pretty much true of most places, though. Hardly anyone is going to buy a tube without seeing the data sheet, and they'll usually show you several, and you can pick what you want. Like maybe you're really into EBI and there's one with a really good EBI that's only like 10 less FOM.

Practically speaking, the actual specs are going to be pretty significantly higher than the minimums. Granted I've not seen that many spec sheets, but I've yet to see one that was in the neighborhood of the minimums.
    Thing is though a bad tube is obvious compared to a good tube. A brighter tube is obvious compared to a darker tube. You can take two tubes with dissimilar specs on paper and after looking through them think the lower quality tube looks better to the eye.

If you want as much bougie for your dollar then L3 Filmless WP is what you want but will that extra 3-4K or more make a difference for most end users? Maybe maybe not.

Chasing the dragon for tube specs is no different then guys chasing decibels on cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Please clarify. Are you saying that you shoot passive by aiming with the reflex sight in front of the PVS14? I am guessing with a NV mode on?
    Yessir. Or on a non-NV “compatible” optic try the lowest setting.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Man it's your tube, but the lowest non NV setting on any red dot I've ever seen would be way too bright. If you can see it with the naked eye, it's probably too bright.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I would honestly say that i about 80% of all my MIL NVG shootimg passively, either with a PVS14 or PVS22.

I do the exact opposite, have been since i got my first PVS14 in '98.

PVS14 on NON dominant eye lets you use the Reflex sight as you normally would. There is also no need for all of those extra risers. You can also transition to White Light with no change at all. In fact worse case you simply close your NON Dominant eye under NV and you sre good.

I have seen that it is much easier to teach people to shoot like this as you are only adding in elements and not drastically changing the oveall mechanics they already have.

For me it would also be easier to do fine tuned items with my dominant eye without NV. For instance i can kick on some blue light and check a radio, read a map or GPS, and treat a PT if neccessary.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Man it's your tube, but the lowest non NV setting on any red dot I've ever seen would be way too bright. If you can see it with the naked eye, it's probably too bright.
    I have to agree with that. RMRs are a great example. Thise things are Bright under NVG and are a distraction. That is why I only lime the RMRs that yiu can turn off.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have to agree with that. RMRs are a great example. Thise things are Bright under NVG and are a distraction. That is why I only lime the RMRs that yiu can turn off.
    I'm more concerned about my tube. I've seen lots of tubes on ebay that have red dot damage.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I'm more concerned about my tube. I've seen lots of tubes on ebay that have red dot damage.
    There is that also. I don't usually look at that stuff as a first line concern. I usually look at what make some more efficient.

But you are correct and it should be a concern.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I would honestly say that i about 80% of all my MIL NVG shootimg passively, either with a PVS14 or PVS22.

PVS14 on NON dominant eye lets you use the Reflex sight as you normally would. There is also no need for all of those extra risers. You can also transition to White Light with no change at all. In fact worse case you simply close your NON Dominant eye under NV and you sre good.

I have seen that it is much easier to teach people to shoot like this as you are only adding in elements and not drastically changing the oveall mechanics they already have.

For me it would also be easier to do fine tuned items with my dominant eye without NV. For instance i can kick on some blue light and check a radio, read a map or GPS, and treat a PT if neccessary.
    Do you find there’s some parallax error when shooting your red dot with your Dominant eye while looking through your 14 with your NON Dominant eye?

And since I’ve seen your setup with the agog and piggyback RMR, are you turning the RMR to NV setting or keeping it at daylight settings? Having two optics seems like an optimal solution if you wanted to aim passively (on a NV setting with a RD for example) while having your daytime optic ready for a high light transition under nods scenario. No?
    Last edited by Ironman8; 09-05-20 at 12:50.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

I should probably point out that my left eye has been goofy my whole life. Its not to be trusted with a mono.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m certainly open to being wrong.

I should probably point out that my left eye has been goofy my whole life. Its not to be trusted with a mono.
    RLTW

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast