Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on night vision

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Man this stuff is so foreign to me. I wish it was as easy as "buy a BCM and a T2."

I checked out JRH's site and still don't seem to know more.

Is there any kind of good standard mono that can be used freehand and weapon-mounted behind a T2 with like a Surefire Vampire or something?

Or is that stupid and using a helmet pretty much the normal way to do it?

My only experience with NV is hog hunting with borrowed gear. Some kind of NV scope/laser/illuminator that I just used without knowing anything about it.
    Technically you can weapon mount up to 5.56 but most people don't "marry" the 14 to the rifle anymore. Most will head or helmet mount the 14 and use an IR laser on the rifle as the aiming point.

Saves arm fatigue and possible safety issues when working with others- versus swinging the weapon around to get a "look" through the weapon mounted NV.

This way you turn your head to get a "look" like God designed your body versus turning your whole body essentially doing a "facing movement" with the rifle to get "look."

Let me know if that didn't make sense.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    What’s the consensus on the Steiner CQBL as opposed to a DBAL? Since a MAWL is way out reach right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    What’s the consensus on the Steiner CQBL as opposed to a DBAL? Since a MAWL is way out reach right now.

The CQBL-1 is great. I miss the one I used to have.

The only downside is no illuminator. But these days you can get a dual lead switch and marry it to a modlite 850 or 940 or even a Luna Optics full power laser illuminator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I'd go with a B.E. Meyers MAWL-C1+.
    Not sure. You can almost get three DBal A3s for the price of one MAWL. Take the extra money and go for Binos instead of a PVS14

Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Pvs14 and a good bump helmet to start is a yes. Team wendy with 4D pads will probably be the most comfortable. JRH enterprises is solid in the industry. TNVC is fine but you’re going to pay extra just because they are the biggest name in the game (and their ego reflects this but I digress)

Bridging 14s is lame so don’t bother. If you were running a thermal then go for it. If you can swing it just get Binos. RNVGs or BNVDs. WP is nice. L3 Filmless tubes are generally regarded as the ultimate performance wise. But bridging is dumb once you add up the costs, bulk, weight etc anyone in the industry saying otherwise is a shill.

The mawl is absolutely overpriced for what it is and it just keeps getting more expensive, especially when full power PEQs exist. A second hand Dbal A3 wouldn’t be bad just to get your feet wet imo.

Seriously though call JRH and talk their ear off. They’re super receptive to new folks getting into NV.

No I’m not affiliated with them they just have a well earned reputation.

Also cough..... NV sub forum... cough

All solid advice. TRex Arms has a really good video on their YT channel about stepping into the night vision world. Sam from TNVC and WP Society has good videos explaining the different specs of an intensifier tube. Really good knowledge bombs.

In July TNVC ran a promo for binos with Elbit tunes. Not as good as the L3 tubes but the set was $3500 less. I mulled it over for a week, talked to Sam and the guys at TNVC and ordered a pair with the ActInBlack DTNVG housing. Took forever but I finally got them and I’m pretty damn happy. Way lighter than most bino sets and way lighter than two bridged PVS14s for sure. I have two steel targets setup in the back yard and as soon as it got dark I was out there blasting away.

I’m a total NV noob but if I had one piece of advice it’s this: be honest with what you want and need. I know the L3 tubes systems are better, but I’m an Architect not a member of DEVGRU. I want to be able to see in the dark and defend my home. I’m not going in to take down UBL. But the binos are more than a single PVS14 so ss with many other things in life, buy once cry once. I considered a bridged PVS14 system but this setup was the same price so I got it and am very happy.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    The CQBL-1 is great. I miss the one I used to have.

The only downside is no illuminator. But these days you can get a dual lead switch and marry it to a modlite 850 or 940 or even a Luna Optics full power laser illuminator.

Am I missing something WRT to illumination? I can have an IR light or I can have a white light or I can mount one of each on the rail? I thought there was a weapon light that did both.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Am I missing something WRT to illumination? I can have an IR light or I can have a white light or I can mount one of each on the rail? I thought there was a weapon light that did both.

There is, Surefire Vampire. But there’s two problems with it IMO. The output on both WL & IR are below par IMO. Second and most important, you can’t go from IR to WL quickly. If you are running nods, there is the possibility that you’ll need to do this and do it quickly!

Running a CQBL + separate IR light (such as Modlite or Malkoff) on a Unity Taps SYNC (in addition to your WL of choice) solves both issues.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Ok, next dumb question. Counterweights for a helmet. What to use in the pouch?

Feedback Score
    Ok, next dumb question. Counterweights for a helmet. What to use in the pouch?
    Whatever fits in the pouch.

I use a battery pack for mine (which ever so slightly also decreases the weight up front, as I can run my RNVGs purely off the pack without an internal battery), along with a few pinewood derby tungsten weights. Others will just use nothing but dead weight; the argument is that you'll always have that weight there, so your helmet doesn't become unbalanced if you end up using whatever you stick back there, as some folks have stuck loaded mags and batteries back there, with the argument that dead weight is dumb and you should be able to use whatever you put back there. Just philosophical choices for us normal people that aren't HALO jumping to do a DA hit.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 12-03-20 at 21:49.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Disregard. I found what I need.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Disregard. I found what I need.

What did you end up going with?