Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt 9MM Carbine Build - Need Advice

Feedback Score
    No man! I have the original CS stock...

Using the BCM STOCK, recoil spring, and buffer ...and i watched him do the work.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
    Pull your BCG and lube the heck out of it. If it is tight, the bolt won’t rotate easily and can have the appearance of being locked up. Make sure you can rotate the bolt in the carrier by hand/fingers.
    Its a 9

Quote Originally Posted by HMLAPHIL View Post
    No man! I have the original CS stock...

Using the BCM STOCK, recoil spring, and buffer ...and i watched him do the work.
    Both RRA and Colt use Colt mags, (Unless I’m crazy), so the following should not apply, but is worth a check: Since theres little standardization, sometimes feedramps and bolts, or other parts won’t play nice together. Because lots of people want Glock mags for some reason. So, sometimes 9mm bolts bind on 9mm feedramps.

Separate the upper and see if the bolt slides nicely. Reattach the lower and see if it still does.

Additionally, while this is almost certainly not your problem right now, your buffer is both too short and too light. From cheapest to most expensive: make it an H3 with tungsten weights and then drop $1.50-$2 in quarters down the tube; make it an H3 and use a spacer from Blitzkrieg; buy a 9mm buffer from heavybuffers.com and think no more of this topic.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    All copy and thanks...yes Colt mags...I wanted it "old school" despite the $$ of colt mags...

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    All copy and thanks...yes Colt mags...I wanted it "old school" despite the $$ of colt mags...
    Yeah, man. I just bought 10 more for $24 a pop; I feel your pain.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    where did u buy them ??

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Greg Cote, it was the cheapest Metalform Colt SMG mags I could find in stock. They shipped them pretty quick. Bought them about ten days ago. Appears to have either gone up a couple bucks, or I remembered the pricing incorrectly.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/ar15-me...2s-p-1539.html
    RLTW

Former Action Guy

Feedback Score
    where did u buy them ??
    I guess that you probably don't want to hear about how I bought 30 of the Metalform Colt 9mm mags from Palmetto State Armory for $13 each in early 2017. I just knew it was a killer deal at the time and couldn't believe it.
    Last edited by Bret; 07-15-20 at 15:39.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Is the BCG hanging up on the hammer? I assume when you separate the upper and lower, you cock the hammer before re-assembling. Your BCG moves around fine, pull the trigger, then it's locked?

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just so I understand, you had a Colt carbine in 9mm with an A2 rifle stock on it. This sort of tells me that you have a 16" 9mm upper on that "rifle." And you are posting that you had the "stock" replaced with a collapsible model "stock." And what you've done is complete that lower with an upper with a barrel that is less than 16" long? So...you put together an SBR? I'm just checking because you made no mention of SBRing that lower and I don't see why you would have since you've been running it as a rifle.

Well, looking at this from strictly a mechanical perspective...
    When you refer to the buffer and spring, we're talking about a new carbine buffer and carbine spring that came with the stock, right? If your gunsmith knew what he was doing, I doubt that there is a problem with the stock setup. I mean, it kind of only goes on one way and BCM makes good stuff, usually. The only thing I can think of is possibly an incompatibility between your upper, or more specifically the bolt carrier, and your hammer. Did you compare your colt bolt to that of the rock river. Specifically, their under sides. Are they similarly profiled?

As Andy mentioned, you likely cock the hammer before reassembly, so it goes click after you close it. When you try to re-cock the hammer by pulling the charging handle, something may be stopping the hammer from resetting and it's just riding the bolt down and giving the appearance of being "locked up."

A picture of the undersides of both of your bolts and the fire control group may help us to help you.
    Last edited by TonyAngel; 07-16-20 at 14:52.

Feedback Score
    Been running a Geissele trigger in my Colt, which does have a ramped bolt...said bolt is essential for the Geissele, and a good idea for any other.
    For the OP, if you don't mind me asking, what problem were you trying to solve originally?
    Moon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast