Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt Carrier Rough Surface

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Bolt Carrier Rough Surface

I tend to buy parkerized BCGs and it's amazing to me how much the carrier surface finishes vary. My BCM, Sionics, and Sabre Defence carriers pretty much all look the same and typical. I have a parked Toolcraft "CAGE code" carrier that is amazingly smooth and two carriers - one LMT and one PSA (freedom) that are just rough.

Assuming the rails and bore are smooth, does the carrier finish really matter functionally?

I know the park "holds" lube and only the rails make contact with the inside of the upper. I also know that smooth surface clean up a lot easier.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I don't know that there's a surface finish specification for the carriers but I'd imagine that it wouldn't matter so much given where the contact points are unless by "just rough" you mean that you can catch a fingernail on the surface or something that extreme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Certainly the US military has a specification for the bolt carrier surfaces, but I don't know what that is or honestly how I would measure it.

I would describe the bolt carriers as having a finish that looks like raw cast iron on all the non bearing surfaces.

I could of course contact LMT, but the carbine its in runs 100%.

Andy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Certainly the US military has a specification for the bolt carrier surfaces, but I don't know what that is or honestly how I would measure it.

I would describe the bolt carriers as having a finish that looks like raw cast iron on all the non bearing surfaces.

I could of course contact LMT, but the carbine its in runs 100%.

Andy
    0000 steel wool will knock down any rough park jobs without affecting finish.
    Shooter like Kukoč

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have had the chance to see a great many different brands and configurations of bolt carrier in recent years. Sometimes it's as the armorer in Patrol Rifle classes and sometimes the manufacturer has sent me samples for one reason or another (not "free" samples mind you, samples as-in, I'm examining them or doing something to them).

As with a lot of guns parts I see some where it's clear that the mfg. process includes a step that says "remove from machine, toss into huge gondola with the 5,000 other carriers". This leads to dents and dings and burrs on the bearing surfaces and the corners thereof. Some others, even though they might not be damaged are simply rough as hell there and yes there is a surface finish requirement on those longitudinal bearing surfaces (32 microfinish). When they are rough or have burrs sticking out from dents, they tend to put wear on the upper receiver bore, although, that anodized finish is very hard and I have not seen an upper that was what you could call "destroyed" by this.

On my own over the years I have very often taken a stone to the bearing strips to get the burrs off. I don't care what consequences there may be to the finish there-- it anything but a magazine cover gun it does not matter, what matters is that it ruins smoothly and doesn't make aluminum shavings when you shoot it.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I have had the chance to see a great many different brands and configurations of bolt carrier in recent years. Sometimes it's as the armorer in Patrol Rifle classes and sometimes the manufacturer has sent me samples for one reason or another (not "free" samples mind you, samples as-in, I'm examining them or doing something to them).

As with a lot of guns parts I see some where it's clear that the mfg. process includes a step that says "remove from machine, toss into huge gondola with the 5,000 other carriers". This leads to dents and dings and burrs on the bearing surfaces and the corners thereof. Some others, even though they might not be damaged are simply rough as hell there and yes there is a surface finish requirement on those longitudinal bearing surfaces (32 microfinish). When they are rough or have burrs sticking out from dents, they tend to put wear on the upper receiver bore, although, that anodized finish is very hard and I have not seen an upper that was what you could call "destroyed" by this.

On my own over the years I have very often taken a stone to the bearing strips to get the burrs off. I don't care what consequences there may be to the finish there-- it anything but a magazine cover gun it does not matter, what matters is that it ruins smoothly and doesn't make aluminum shavings when you shoot it.
    I understood that the bearing surfaces would have a surface finish requirement, but I think OP is referring to the rest of the carrier? Which I'm not so certain of. I don't think he's describing dents, dings, burrs ect either.

I think some pics of this carrier would go a long way towards clearing things up.
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Good God, LMT used to have THE most brutally rough/abrasive finish on their carriers. That said, if the bearing surfaces where a little broken in/smoothed out, I'd still run it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Not my pic, but this is what I mean about the rough finish (mine are not this extreme).

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not my pic, but this is what I mean about the rough finish (mine are not this extreme).

Andy
    Wow, that looks like it came out of a sand cast. Weird.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)

Andy
    Holy s**t! Someone needs to take a look at the tumbler machine. Good Lord!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast