Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt Carrier Rough Surface

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We received over 400 M-16's from the Department of the Army, 1960's vintage, and the bolt carriers looked rough as a cob. They worked. Think of a bolt carrier group as a well tuned stock car. It may look a little rough on the outside, but the inside is tuned to run wide open without failing.

Pretty does not mean it's reliable and rough does not mean it won't work. Maintain it, lube it and run it like a stolen car.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Almost has the look of those Glock slides from a number of years ago with a finish they don't use anymore (I think it is unofficially known as the "frying pan" finish). Was supposed to be REALLY durable.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 07-10-20 at 19:04.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Dry practice will smooth the function.
    If you have issues, call the manufacturer but i would try it first.

If it works, I wouldnt worry about it

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I pulled 6 parked BCGs out last night and attempted to take pics but did not capture the finish variances. The roughest finish is the LMT, followed by the PSA, which is new. The others (SDI, BCM, Sionics, Aero) have the expected silky feel and phosphate look. All but the SDI are black, it is more gray.

Here are the (top to bottom) BCM, LMT Sionics, and SDI.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have multiple LMT carriers and they are crusty as fck. I have had several MP3'd and like how they clean easily. But don't notice any difference in reliability.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I pulled 6 parked BCGs out last night and attempted to take pics but did not capture the finish variances. The roughest finish is the LMT, followed by the PSA, which is new. The others (SDI, BCM, Sionics, Aero) have the expected silky feel and phosphate look. All but the SDI are black, it is more gray.

Be glad you do not have a bore scope. You can look inside and compare surface finishes inside the carrier as well...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

I'm impressed you have 4 BCG's that are clean enough to see the finish. Well done.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I'm impressed you have 4 BCG's that are clean enough to see the finish. Well done.

PB
    This gave me a much needed giggle.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB
    I had to clean two of them and wipe them all down. I run them pretty wet, so cleanup is mostly wiping with a rag and a couple q-tips.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 07-12-20 at 12:02.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12