Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock's New Gen 5 40 Caliber Pistols

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Imagine buying a 40cal in 2020 lol
    I know right?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    My post is directed at people who buy .40 because they think it’s deadlier.

That is simply not true, and unfortunately the overwhelming majority of people who do choose .40 over 9mm do so for that reason alone.
    That was exactly me in 2014 when I bought my very first firearm, a Glock 23 Gen 4. Man if only I knew then what I know now...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With these new .40's it will be only a matter of time before aftermarket barrel makers are making 9mm conversion barrels... Then you have a duel caliber pistol, add a .22 conversion slide..
    9mm is once again absent from the shelves in my AO, sometimes .40 appears along with 10mm and 6.35 Browning of all things...

Feedback Score
    There were a lot of G22 & G23 police trade ins last year, if just wanting something for when 9 ammo isnt available.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    With these new .40's it will be only a matter of time before aftermarket barrel makers are making 9mm conversion barrels... Then you have a duel caliber pistol, add a .22 conversion slide..
    9mm is once again absent from the shelves in my AO, sometimes .40 appears along with 10mm and 6.35 Browning of all things...
    357 SIG
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Just so you guys know if it hasn't been mentioned-the slide is wider on these gen 5 40's. Enough to were it most likely won't fit in the same holster as an older 22/3/7. Wider than the gen 5 9mm's
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Just so you guys know if it hasn't been mentioned-the slide is wider on these gen 5 40's. Enough to were it most likely won't fit in the same holster as an older 22/3/7. Wider than the gen 5 9mm's
    Is this due to the difference in pressure between 9 mm and .40?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red the Monkey View Post
    Is this due to the difference in pressure between 9 mm and .40?
    Yes, Glock added some mass to the slide to hold up to .40 better. About 3 oz. for both the 22 and 23. Hence why it’s wider.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger86 View Post
    Eurodriver, I respect your opinion , but also love my 1993 Glock 22. I wouldn't part with it and still carry it daily. It is not for a lack of options either. Maybe it is because I've been using it for >25 years...

I would buy another .40 Glock 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger86 View Post
    I bought the G22 days before the AWB of 1993... It was a newer caliber then and I took the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My G22 is around 20 years old and still my go to.

I'd buy a 40 cal Glock again.

Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    I’ll take a 22 and a 23.

This is me, too...

I started buying Glocks in .40 in the early 1990s, when I was in my early 20s and just starting to buy guns. Most of my handguns (eight) are .40 cal Glocks. I have never owned a 9mm... Never.

I never liked the finger grooves, so almost all of mine are Gen2 that I bought used.

It'll be nice to actually buy a NEW Glock for once...

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am a firm believer in having at least two main calibers at hand, both for rifles and pistols...
    This makes no sense to me at all...

If you want different calibers because they do different things, then OK. (I have handguns chambered not only for .40, but also .380ACP, .22lr, and .38 Special.)

However, using two calibers because you think it'll make it easier to source ammo doesn't make sense... Just pick one and have a big enough stockpile.

I have enough .40 loaded to last a year or three, and enough components to reload enough for another 5-10 years. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
    It 10 mm, really is round begging for reloading. I don’t think it is possible to even buy ammo loaded to what it was designed for.
    Search "Underwood."

Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    . .45 AARP. Jeff Cooper would be 100 now...
    And he was an early adaptor (or even pioneer) of the 10mm as a replacement for the .45AARP.

He'd be disappointed to see how many people are still shooting .45...

Just so you guys know if it hasn't been mentioned-the slide is wider on these gen 5 40's. Enough to were it most likely won't fit in the same holster as an older 22/3/7.
    The guys over on GlockTalk are saying that this isn't such an issue... A little heat and pressure, and the new .40s fit in the old holsters.
    Last edited by Bimmer; 12-06-20 at 23:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    The guys over on GlockTalk are saying that this isn't such an issue... A little heat and pressure, and the new .40s fit in the old holsters.
    It is an issue, and users should buy a holster molded for the gun.

Holsters can indeed be heated and tweaked, but dimensions and tolerances may change elsewhere in the holster affecting stress points, clearances, retention properties, etc. Even high quality kydex is cheap and plentiful enough these days that this isn't warranted.

For those advocating the process, I would also ask them to detail their experience, carry habits, and usage, number and frequency of presentations, etc. In the case of the gen5 G22/23/27, I would ensure that they've actually had time on the gun(s) before commenting.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast