Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock's New Gen 5 40 Caliber Pistols

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Entirely theory based. I have no evidence to back this other than my own battles with tendinitis over the years from repetitive stress injuries and over use.

The simple theory is this:

Gripping things repeatedly will eventually yield some form of over use injury. The more you have to grip, the sooner the onset of the injury.

I can spend a day at the range and shoot 750 rounds of 9mm without any issues.

After 250-300 of .40 im spent.

Pure theory but it makes sense no?

Obviously, its subjective and everyone is different. Additionally, firing schedule matters, rest, diet, physical make up etc. There are a zillion variables so my sample is a size of one.

Devil, what's your definition of high volume?
    My definition of fairly high volume for pistol is 3k - 5k per year. Up until a few years ago I was doing IDPA and pistol games and averaging north of 5k. Last few years has been more around 3k. I'd conservatively say I'm 100k ish in pistol rounds over the last 25 years. Probably 80k of that is .40 .. I was all 40 caliber for years. Now currently 90% 9mm. To the extent of having considered selling my G22 but I have a lot of mags for it and ammo so it mostly sits these days.

I'm 47 pretty big so depending on your age or size maybe a different experience regarding hand issues

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    My definition of fairly high volume for pistol is 3k - 5k per year. Up until a few years ago I was doing IDPA and pistol games and averaging north of 5k. Last few years has been more around 3k. I'd conservatively say I'm 100k ish in pistol rounds over the last 25 years. Probably 80k of that is .40 .. I was all 40 caliber for years. Now currently 90% 9mm. To the extent of having considered selling my G22 but I have a lot of mags for it and ammo so it mostly sits these days.

I'm 47 pretty big so depending on your age or size maybe a different experience regarding hand issues
    Roger that bud.

I shoot between 30k and 50K and have been doing this for the past five years. I absolutely cannot repeat that with .40 cal, my hands and arms would explode. As I said, my theory is just that and its entirely subjective.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    Roger that bud.

I shoot between 30k and 50K and have been doing this for the past five years. I absolutely cannot repeat that with .40 cal, my hands and arms would explode. As I said, my theory is just that and its entirely subjective.
    Dang that’s awesome. I thought I shoot a lot! Yeah you shooting 50k rounds a year would change the dynamics.. I’d be divorced and need a 2nd job to shoot that much lol

Feedback Score
    I hope that they make some .357 SIG gen 5 Glocks!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Roger that bud.

I was issued a P220 for the first 13 years as a cop. Not as bad as a .40 Glock but I did manage to badly tear the tendons up in my right arm. I had several cortisone injections, prescriptions for antiinflammatories. It took quite a while for the pain to subside. Made it very difficult to shoot. 9mm is popular for a reason. I avoid 40 like the plague and only occasionally shoot my 45s.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I swore off .40 about 5-6 years ago...told myself I would never go back. Jumped on the 9mm train, kept one .45 1911 and sold the rest of my .40s and .45s. With the great ammo shortage this year I found 9mm almost impossible to come by. I can still get .40 and .45 pretty reliably in my area. Decided to pick up a couple .40s and .45s so I can keep training without dipping into my stash of 9mm. Wanted to get guns designed for .40 from the onset so I wouldn’t have reliability issues over time. Picked up a USP 40, PX4 .40 and ordered a G5 22 last week. It should be here this week and I look forward to shooting it alongside my USP and PX4 to see how it does. Had a Gen 2 23 years ago when I first started shooting. Snapped a locking block pin even with regular recoil spring changes. Hoping this G5 lasts for the long haul.

I will update once I’ve got a few hundred rounds through it. Gonna shoot it extensively with one of my TLR-1s as well to test reliability with a WML.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckusjuice View Post
    The article mentions that Glock has stopped production of Gen4 9mm and .40 S&W pistols too. Looks like you’ll only be able to buy Gen3 and Gen5 pistols going forward.
    It looks like the Gen 4's remain available to law enforcement only.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I spoke to a GLock rep and he mentioned the new 40's will have a thicker slide and won't fit existing holsters. Not sure what the specs are. If they used a 45 GAP style slide it may help with the reliability issues that plagued the 40's with weapon mounted lights. Slower slide velocity does wonders.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I spoke to a GLock rep and he mentioned the new 40's will have a thicker slide and won't fit existing holsters
    That's a little bit of a pisser. I want to jump on one of these guns, but the last new Glock I bought was one of the 9mms they fukked up that wouldn't eject. Brass hitting the left side of my head and shit.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's a little bit of a pisser. I want to jump on one of these guns, but the last new Glock I bought was one of the 9mms they fukked up that wouldn't eject. Brass hitting the left side of my head and shit.
    The new G5’s are GTG. The ones with front serrations have the breechface cut that aids in positive ejection. My G45 launches brass like an AK

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast