Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock's New Gen 5 40 Caliber Pistols

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am a firm believer in having at least two main calibers at hand, both for rifles and pistols. In my case it is 9 and 45 for handguns, simply because I am invested in 1911s and love them for what they are. 9 and 40 makes more sense though if somebody wants to use similar pistols.

These are strange times. I am sitting on a shitload of ammo and I so far refused to slow down my shooting schedule. This ammo run and drought may be the longest we've seen though.
    Last edited by YVK; 07-09-20 at 21:17.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been shooting Glock 22's since 1998 and currently own a Gen 3 G22. My Gen 2 consumed over 60,000 rounds before it gave up the ghost. They work and .40 S&W ammunition is currently more readily available than 9mm.

I'd have to go through another 20,000 rounds before considering a Gen 5.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The article mentions that Glock has stopped production of Gen4 9mm and .40 S&W pistols too. Looks like you’ll only be able to buy Gen3 and Gen5 pistols going forward.

Feedback Score
    I’m a 9mm shooter and believer, through and through. However, I like the philosophy of two main calibers for handgun and two mains for rifle/carbine.

In saying that... Let me know when Glock finally starts to produce Gen5 21s and 30s. THAT is what will push me into owning more .45acp platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Please let us mere mortals know.....

I don't really need to know, just mocking.

I'm getting back into .40 to shoot major on the cheap, since I have .40's and approximately 30,000 rounds of once-fired .40 brass.
    I believe Dr Roberts has stated in his studies that the 40 performs better through windshields and auto body than 9mm. From my experience investigating shootings Id say he is right. The 40 does seem to perform better in the shootings involving auto barriers that Ive seen. The 40s seemed to retain their terminal performance better.

However my experiences are limited and in no way scientific. Either way the 9mm still worked through the auto windshields and body work and I still choose 9mm for the other benefits.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckusjuice View Post
    The article mentions that Glock has stopped production of Gen4 9mm and .40 S&W pistols too.
    They pretty much had to make a Gen5 40 for people who want to run a light and know not to on a Gen3.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I’ve had Gen 3 Glock 22’s that would never miss a beat with a light, and I’ve had some that would. For me, Gen 4 Glock 22’s were the worst with lights.

I can’t wait until the Glock 22 Gen 5 comes out. I will definitely buy one as I have a strange love/hate relationship with 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    They pretty much had to make a Gen5 40 for people who want to run a light and know not to on a Gen3.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am a firm believer in having at least two main calibers at hand, both for rifles and pistols. In my case it is 9 and 45 for handguns, simply because I am invested in 1911s and love them for what they are. 9 and 40 makes more sense though if somebody wants to use similar pistols.

These are strange times. I am sitting on a shitload of ammo and I so far refused to slow down my shooting schedule. This ammo run and drought may be the longest we've seen though.
    Interesting view on having 2 main calibers on hand for rifle and pistol. Can you elaborate on your rationale? I currently have 9 and 40 and 556 and 308 for non play guns but am leaning towards getting rid of the 40. All my 9's are Glocks so all of the mags work for all 3. My AR's are all 556 so the same principal. I'm getting into a PCC AR and wanted a 9 that took Glock mags for the same reason. I currently have a gen 4 Glock 22 40 and a buch of mags for it and ammo and am leaning towards getting rid of it but would like to hear your logic on 2 main calibers for each. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    Interesting view on having 2 main calibers on hand for rifle and pistol. Can you elaborate on your rationale?
    Simply a matter of recurrent runs on ammo and ease of replenishment. When these runs happen, and they do, and they will continue to happen, all 9 mm, .223/5.56 and .22 ammo is gone or is being sold at insane prices. 40S&W and 45ACP usually are still available, at increased prices too but since people don't buy those as avidly, the sellers cannot jack the prices up too much and the supply usually doesn't dry out. That allows me to keep shooting and replenish my stock at some rate. I'll cringe at those prices too but at the end I can afford that.
    Same idea for rifle calibers. If I wanted to go shoot a class today, I could easily do it with a 7.62 AK, leaving my 5.56 stock intact.

This approach may not apply to others. Factors like financial ability to build appropriate ammo reserve, storing capacity, annual ammo expenditure, ability to reload your own etc all play out differently for different folks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I believe Dr Roberts has stated in his studies that the 40 performs better through windshields and auto body than 9mm. From my experience investigating shootings Id say he is right. The 40 does seem to perform better in the shootings involving auto barriers that Ive seen. The 40s seemed to retain their terminal performance better.

However my experiences are limited and in no way scientific. Either way the 9mm still worked through the auto windshields and body work and I still choose 9mm for the other benefits.
    I would agree (not saying that should carry much weight) If I remember correctly it was theorized due to the construction of the different projectiles - the .40 bites into the glass with less deflection.

I've heard a couple of gems in training that have stuck with through the years, one of which was that when shooting through barriers you are actually shooting two rounds, the one that impacts the barrier and the one that leaves the barrier.

Laminated windshield glass, aside from it's angle, is kind of rough on rounds, jacket separations aren't uncommon. So it makes sense that you are going to have heavier hunks of .40 left comparative to 9mm.

I'm of the mindset that you 'make a port with the first couple rounds when shooting out and aim a little high when shooting in' regardless of what round you are shooting.

Going out it isn't like you are going to reliably put rounds on a target 20 yards down the road - unless you've created a port; going in, it isn't like the guy is 5 yards from the windshield. Also, from outside the vehicle, you can alter the angle with which the round strikes the windshield.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-12-20 at 18:18.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast