Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long can a PMAG stay loaded?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

How long can a PMAG stay loaded?

In early 2011 I bought dozens of Windowed Gen 3 PMAGs and put 28 rounds in each, put the dust covers back on, and stored them in a Pelican case.

I haven’t touched them in almost 10 years. It’d be a shame if I actually went out to use one and it didn’t fire, so I’m considering firing two full mags off just to see how they do at their ten year anniversary. The ammo in them is PMC XTAC M855.

I know Magpul has done extensive testing by simulating longevity (I’m sure they’ve subjected it to extreme heat, UV rays, humidity, etc) but how can that take precedence over actual longevity?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Take one and test fire, take another and stick it in your vehicle luggage area and one more maybe on the garage on the floor near the door. Leave those for another year or two and test them.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I did the same, except loaded to 30, then put the covers on.

Curious to what your outcome is. I suspect it will be fine.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    I shot some first gen P-Mags from around 2007 (?) I loaded when I bought them and shot them in 2019. They did just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    I shot some first gen P-Mags from around 2007 (?) I loaded when I bought them and shot them in 2019. They did just fine.
    Same here. I have an 07 Tan/Coyote pmag that's been sitting loaded in a gun pretty much full time for over 10 years.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Same here. I have an 07 Tan/Coyote pmag that's been sitting loaded in a gun pretty much full time for over 10 years.
    I’ve got eight left out of the twelve I loaded. I need to shoot them but I just wonder if they’ll make 15 or 20 years.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Effectively, forever.

Not being used, no uv light to break down polymer, and dust cover on to keep feed lips from spreading, means you'll probably be dead long before they'll go bad.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    In early 2011 I bought dozens of Windowed Gen 3 PMAGs and put 28 rounds in each, put the dust covers back on, and stored them in a Pelican case.

I haven’t touched them in almost 10 years. It’d be a shame if I actually went out to use one and it didn’t fire, so I’m considering firing two full mags off just to see how they do at their ten year anniversary. The ammo in them is PMC XTAC M855.

I know Magpul has done extensive testing by simulating longevity (I’m sure they’ve subjected it to extreme heat, UV rays, humidity, etc) but how can that take precedence over actual longevity?
    You know springs don’t wear out from being compressed yes?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My suggestion, not that you asked...

Shoot one every year for the next 10 years so the experiment can last another 9 years. Then you can add the one from this test group into your normal rotation and monitor for issues.

Regardless, just be sure to let us know the results, I remember your original thread. Look forward for to the next update in 10 years lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    You know springs don’t wear out from being compressed yes?

Yes, peak slow boi, but there is a lot more to a magazine than a spring.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast