Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How long can a PMAG stay loaded?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by broke_shooter View Post
    I have a gen 2 fde pmag that i had sitting in an ammo can loaded with 30 rnds for about 4 years. A couple months ago I was going through my mags and noticed the fde one wouldnt free fall from the rifle. All my other mags did. Upon inspection I noticed the top two rounds were almost side by side (not quite but the rear end of the second rnd was sticking up higher than usual, if that makes sense) , I pushed down on the rounds and they went back into place. Inserted the mag again and the same thing happened. Wouldn't drop free. Unloaded it drops fine. I can't really see a difference between this one and a good one. I just have it sitting on top of my safe.
    In person, I have only seen failures with the older FDE PMAGs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    In person, I have only seen failures with the older FDE PMAGs.
    Great. All my 5.56 magazines are first gen FDE PMAGs. What kind of failures? Should I be trying to replace these?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Great. All my 5.56 magazines are first gen FDE PMAGs. What kind of failures? Should I be trying to replace these?
    You could. Really, there's no reason not to add mags to the supply from time to time. If you have concerns, buy Gen3 pmags and regulate the Gen1 pmags to training/range use.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just ordered some OKAY Surefeed. If polymer can age in funny ways perhaps it's best to have some metal magazines too.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I just ordered some OKAY Surefeed. If polymer can age in funny ways perhaps it's best to have some metal magazines too.
    I've been happy with Surefeed as well, but they are a no go for some situations. Specifically, no bueno for M855A1 and M16A2/A4, and other lower receivers where there are not M4 feedramps. Beyond that, I find the M3 M3 PMAGs aka Gen 3 PMAGs coupled with Ranger plates to be where it's at. When wearing a helmet and shooting ACOGs for days on end, it takes some strain off your neck.

The issue with the FDE Gen1 PMAGs isn't based on them being polymer. I have plenty of Gen1 PMAGs going strong. Just that the FDE version of the Gen1s were not on par with the strength of the black versions as not all polymers are equal. Magpul continued the development of their polymers and the Gen3s have done very well in in both black and Coyote.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Just that the FDE version of the Gen1s were not on par with the strength of the black versions as not all polymers are equal. Magpul continued the development of their polymers and the Gen3s have done very well in in both black and Coyote.
    Is this from UV aging of the FDE polymer or an initial weakness of the material that would affect even magazines that have been stored in the dark?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Is this from UV aging of the FDE polymer or an initial weakness of the material that would affect even magazines that have been stored in the dark?
    The latter. The original FDE material is simply not what the newer material is.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It is good to have a mix of mags..decent metal and polymer

Feedback Score
    Q. How long can a PMAG stay loaded?
    A. Until I can vote 30 times.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had several Gen1 OD pmags with cracked feed lips. And they always seem to show themselves during a match never during practice.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast