Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: How long can a PMAG stay loaded?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecktum View Post
    The dust cover keeping the feed lips from spreading is a common misconception and false.
    Your evidence?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Your evidence?
    I would also like to know this. Resurrecting a thread from August 2020 you would want to ensure that you have more than a blanket statement on your findings
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post
    To expound further:
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Liptak
    There is a common misconception that the dust/impact cover supplied with most PMAG products is in some way required to prevent feed lip creep or spread over time. This is not the case. When initially loaded, the PMAG GEN M3, and all PMAGs in the current lineup, exhibit a tiny normalization of feed lip geometry within a very small window of time measured in days, and then this geometry then remains stable over many years, heat cycles, cooling cycles, and outdoor UV and weather exposure. We routinely load magazines and place them into stable indoor, hot, cold, and outdoor exposure storage to monitor various batches of material. These magazines are occasionally function tested and reloaded with no issues.

As implied by the name, the dust and impact cover is indeed designed to keep debris out of magazines during storage, and to provide an extra measure of feed lip protection for magazines in storage, such as stuffed in an ammo can in a tactical vehicle used in off road operations, or for aerial delivery, kicking containers of loaded mags off of moving vehicles, and the like. This ensures that magazines that may normally be out of sight, not maintained, or subjected to delivery handling that is many, many times the normal testing and usage criteria will perform flawlessly after a quick flick to remove the cover.
    Source: https://www.bigtexordnance.com/diffe...-magpul-pmags/
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Q. How long can a PMAG stay loaded?
    A. Until I can vote 30 times.
    One election cycle?

They'll last longer than that

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks for that. I knew there was a better explanation out there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecktum View Post
    The dust cover keeping the feed lips from spreading is a common misconception and false.
    Magpul use to recommend using the dust cover for leaving mags loaded over extended periods of time.
    I assume they still do.
    But what does the manufacture know anyway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Magpul use to recommend using the dust cover for leaving mags loaded over extended periods of time.
    I assume they still do.
    Your assumption would be wrong then.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I may have misinterpreted wreck's statement. I inferred that he meant feed lip spread occurs even when using the dust covers, but my first generation PMAGs stored with covers on did not spread.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I had a dozen Rev Ms loaded to 30 and stored from 2010 to 2016 with the dustcovers on.

When I checked them in 2016 about half the covers had popped off. All the mags were just fine and went into a friend’s training set and as far as I know have given good service.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast