Thread: AR-10 for hunting in Colorado?

Feedback Score

AR-10 for hunting in Colorado?

Hola,

I have been talked into starting up hunting again. This is in the State of Colorado. To that end I have an AR-10 in .308. I know that I can use the rifle and I have a purchased a 5 round mag to ensure that there is no question about rounds (5+1 is the Colorado max, I believe) but I am unsure as to having a flash hider. I have been told that it is fine to have, and I have also been told that an A2 flash hider is prohibited. I have tried calling DOW but all I can get to is a voicemail. Does anyone know? I'm more than willing to change out a muzzle device.

Gracias

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Does Colorado have a written book of regs available to thebpublic? Here in Idaho, ours has a section listing prohibited items/accessories. Id like to say that I would be surprised if a flash hider wasn't allowed, but...

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)

AR-10 for hunting in Colorado?

Scroll to bottom of this page for the brochures on various hunting regulations in Colorado.

https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/RulesRegs.aspx

I’ve hunted for a decade in CO and use a suppressor. Never heard of any muzzle device regulation. And I’ve never heard of a magazine size restriction (a part from 15rd state law since 2013). I hunt with 10rd pmags with 5 in the mag and 1 in the chamber.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Unless it’s hunting specific, there’s no state law on muzzle devices. However, Colorado does allow smaller jurisdictions to create their own anti-gun laws (I forget the term) which is why you’ll see stricter restrictions around Denver. If you’re hunting and have no plans to go through Denver you may be ok, but I’d recommend looking into the specific city and/or county regulations to be safe. El Paso County (CO Springs is still fun friendly).

There is a state law on mags - 15 rounds is the limit. But, the majority of county sheriffs publicly signed a statement that they would not enforce it. As such, I think the only times it’s been used as a charge is in conjunction with other charges. Denver may be an exception though.

I’m not a lawyer or LE, so take all of this with a grain of salt. However, I was a little concerned until I started shooting 3-gun here. I’ve been i squads with several LEOs from both El Paso County Sheriff and CO Springs PD and they all have been using mags over 15 just like everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Harvested a lot nice mule deer in CO
    Montrose and Norwood Area
    Also hunted up Rifle / Meeker near the river.
    Hunted the Spanish Peaks area also.
    AR-10 would be great in 308 win.